I built an MDF router based on plans from build your cnc...then adapted & improved it. The machine never ran as well as I would have liked - mainly due to alignment issues and a damp/humid environment.

I've now moved house & have more workshop space to play with. Shortly after the house move my disassembled machine got soaked due to a leaky workshop roof...I now expect the previous alignment issues to be even worse and am thinking about possible ways forward.

My first thought was to get the machine assembled again & set up as best I can, then use it to cut new parts for a better MDF machine.

But i've now started thinking about the possibility of using aluminium profile instead.

I've found guides for 80-20 profile but not a lot else...it also seems that 80-20 isn't easy to get in the UK.

Looking around i've found numerous sources for other sizes eg, 40-40, 40-80, 45-45, 45-90....i'm wondering about the suitability of these for the job in hand & whether there are any plans or guides out there using these profiles....also would the resulting machine perform better than an mdf one?

My current machine roughly has a cut area of 4'x2'...i'd like the new version to be the same, or a smidge larger.

If anyone can give me any input on this i'd be grateful - good sources for ally profiles, plans, guides etc

Thanks

Tom