. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC38 View Post

Question here - is it best to dismantle the supported round rail then cut the rail and support seperately and re-assemble? or try to cut it all in one go?
    Cut it in one go. . . . I do it by first cutting the round rail using 1mm thin disc in the angle grinder, cuts like hot knife thru butter then finish Alu base using mechanical hacksaw but hand held will work just same.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

The distance measured parallel to the Y-axis between the spindle and the Y-axis ballnut/screw is currently quite large. This will cause the cutter to deflect parallel to Y as the rails offer little support in that direction. Between the Y-axis rails is a good place, hence why a lot of people mount them on separate pieces of extrusion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

The vertical plate on the back of the Z axis (to which the Y axis ballscrew is attached) is trapped between the small top and bottom plates. This means it needs to be machined accurately to ensure the Y axis bearings sit correctly. It would be better to make this plate full height and have narrower top and bottom plates so that everything can be set before tightening the bolts.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Thanks Jazzcnc, Jonathan and routercnc for the comments on the Y and Z axis. Re-design in process to include using smaller seperate extrusions to reduce
    alignment issues and enable the Y axis ballscrew and nut to be located under the Y axis rails and reduce the distance to the Z axis assembly.

Talking about the alignment of the axes for a CNC, I had the idea to buy a large thick piece of float glass (10mm x 1500 x 1000) to provide my "flat" surface from
    which I could then make accurate measurements using a dial micrometer. By measuring the surface first, one could reasonably then account for the variations in the surface when measuring...

Regards
    Mike

Hi Guys

Been busy at work but have re-worked the Y-axis gantry design, taking into account all your comments. Have shifted the Y axis ballscrew closer to the Z axis gantry and used seperate extrusions to allow this and maintain torsional stiffness I think. I guess the main issue is the use of supported round rails - profiled rails would reduce the height and thickness. However given my other constraints of time, budget etc..lets see. The other approach is to use the extrusions in a L-shape as per Jazzcnc's photos. This has the advantage of mounting the BF and BK blocks on the Y-axis and not having to cut the rails. Will probably work up that design as well and make a decision. Now I just need some more money for the ali, steppers and electronics!

Regards
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MRC Gantry 2c iso se.jpg 
Views:	1103 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	5290   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MRC Gantry 2c dia nw wireframe.jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	5291   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MRC Gantry 2c dia nw.jpg 
Views:	1641 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	5292   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MRC Gantry 2c iso se wireframe.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	5293  

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC38 View Post
    Hi Guys

Been busy at work but have re-worked the Y-axis gantry design, taking into account all your comments. Have shifted the Y axis ballscrew closer to the Z axis gantry and used seperate extrusions to allow this and maintain torsional stiffness I think. I guess the main issue is the use of supported round rails - profiled rails would reduce the height and thickness. However given my other constraints of time, budget etc..lets see. The other approach is to use the extrusions in a L-shape as per Jazzcnc's photos. This has the advantage of mounting the BF and BK blocks on the Y-axis and not having to cut the rails. Will probably work up that design as well and make a decision. Now I just need some more money for the ali, steppers and electronics!

Regards
    Mike
    Well finally after all this time, I plan to start my build in August. Attached is the final design. I got all the bits now (Plate, extrusion, Zapp Stepper kit 1, ballscrews) so watch the build log for pics and progress. Again many thanks to all especially Jazz for the redesign. Here goes!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mikecampbell_4a.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	12862

Thread Information