Just joined. I've just ordered the parts for two projects, my first foray into CNC.

The first project is to build a PCB machining unit, essentially a small vertical milling machine with limited Z axis travel. I managed to scrounge two Velmex A4000 Unislides (see here: http://www.velmex.com/manual_cross_s...sp?series=4000) for just £30 the pair, already configured as an X-Y table. What's really handy is that the screws already have 1/4" ends on them where the knobs fit, so they will be easy to hook up to steppers. These only have 100mm of movement, but they should be OK for my hobby purposes. The Z axis will most probably be my existing PCB bench drill, modified with a stepper driven quill.

The other project is a medium sized router table, primarily for composite mould making. The plan is to get to grips with CNC on the small machine, before starting the big one.

Hardware ordered so far includes 6 off NEMA 23 180N-cm steppers from Arc Euro (just £18.50 each, on special offer), a Smoothstepper USB drive board, a 3.5A triple stepper drive board and a 24V, 14.5 amp power supply. I plan to use the same electronic box for both machines.

I'm still pondering about which rails, screws etc to get. There are some relatively cheap suppliers on eBay, but I've no idea of the quality. The only UK supplier I've found looks to be pretty expensive, which is a shame. Ideally I'd like someone who has stuff in stock that I could go and look at, or at least get a recommendation from someone here in the UK who has bought from them.

Software will most probably be Mach 3, plus the Warp9 software to drive the Smoothstepper. My existing CAD software (AutoCAD and Rhino) should be able to export files in the right format, from what I've read.

Jeremy