Hi there, I stumbled across this site a week or two ago, as I am building a simple camera dolly and wanted to automate the linear motion. This site got me thinking how much cheaper my project would have been if I could have fabricated a few of the parts myself, rather than buying stock parts. First off I thought about buying a CNC machine, but then for the same reason I didn't buy a camera dolly, I.e. expense, I'm now looking at building one! I think I've got the CNC bug.
From what I can see, the main expense comes from the ballscrews, and mountings. I have a budget of around £500. Is this a realistic budget for a first CNC build or should I be looking at a cheaper or more expensive option? The problem that I have is that I would like it to be perfect! As I tend to be a little bit meticulous when it comes to these things. Or should I start with something simple using trapezoidal lead screws and use this to build up to a machine that is more sturdy and accurate? I'm thinking I should just go for the best build that I can, however the dilemma that I have is to keep the costs down it would be nice to be able to fabricate my own parts however I can't unless I have a machine!!
I'm sure many of you guys on here have been in this exact same position. What should I do?

See you all around.

Hoppo.