Hello All,

Whilst browsing the web for some time and many hours spent researching I stumbled upon this forum, so first of all I'd like to say what a great site. It's been incredibly helpful and interesting just browsing through the various forum threads.

But more to the point, I'm seeking advice and knowledge as I'm shortly to be starting up a new project which will be heavily dependent on CNC machining and various other manufacturing process's.

I'm planning to machine a variety of different materials including hard wood, metals such as stainless steel and a variety of different plastics. Ideally all on the same machine, however at this stage my lack of experience shows as I don't know if this is possible.. So my first question is, is this possible.

The pieces will be no larger than 200mm (l) x 200mm (w) & 60mm (d)

However there will be certain areas of very fine detail and precision, predominantly on the stainless steel, such as a pair of very small hinges.

Would really like some advice on the following:

Can a wide variety of materials be machined on one machine such as metal, wood and plastic?

Are their certain limitations on purchasing a machine that does a variety of materials?

Which manufacturers would be recommended to purchase a good reliable machine from? The budget can range from 5k - 20k but the cheaper the better, however I wouldn't want to compromise on quality. Second hand or used is also an option.

I really value the answers from you all and hope someone can help.

J