. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yes I know my machine use this setup but that was purely because 1610 or 1605 were not available ...
    Thanks Jazz.... that's exactly what was befuddling me... That whilst I was pretty sure that you recommended 1610.... your machine uses 1605... Because it was in the early days of your evolution... Lol.

I didn't actually think that 1610 gave better torque than 1605... thought it was 'tother way around, but it has now finally sunk in! I just hope it doesn't drop out the other side....

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Use the largest you can fit in the boss of the pulley.! If going between teeth on pulley then just make sure you sink deep enough doesn't foul belt and no sharp edges.
    I mainly use M5 and M6 some times M4. Bigger the better because the larger allen key means you can get good purchase for tightening plus more surface area on shaft flat.
    That makes total sense.... I will make use of a service that beltingonline offer at a small-ish fee... they machine grubscrew holes... one/two off different sizes. Have just had a mosey at their website and the options available vary depending on pulley size... only M2-M3 for the smallest 12T pulley, M2-M6 for a 20T pulley, and M2-M10 for a 40T pulley. Their website also states that "Position of grub screws will be in hub as standard".... the hubs are only 5.5mm long so reckon that they put two opposite each other.

So.... I will use 1610 1:1 using 20T [o.d=36mm] pulleys with 2 off M6 grubscrew holes in each... and only look at other gearing ratios in the future if it seems necessary for specific tasks.

PS. I think Jonathan had mentioned I might as well use 1605 on the much shorter Z-axis for better resolution.... Is this because torque isn't really needed on this Axis... Unless drilling I suppose?

Thanks again,
    Andy
    Last edited by WandrinAndy; 17-08-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Thread Information