Hello All, here is my first post in what I hope will become a full build log. As mentioned in my Introduction (http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/new-me...say-hello.html) I have one quite tough requirement a bit of steel machining and am building it with a view to making the plans available to others who are in the same boat as me, well not my Narrowboat, but you get what I mean :-)

Posted here are the drawings for the machine I have in mind for my use X=600mm (Apprx 400mm useable) Y=500mm (Apprx 300mm useable) and Z=350mm (Apprx 150mm useable). I hope this design is scaleable by adding longer rails and extra rail supports, that was certainly my intention. I have also allowed space where the drive nuts are to go upto 16mm leadscrews for the bigger machines, though I have seen 8'x4' machines with 12mm, to me it just doesn't look man enough.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	120801 3D View from Front.png 
Views:	594 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	6476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	120801 2D View from Front.png 
Views:	508 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	6477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	120801 2D View from LH.png 
Views:	558 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	6478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	120801 2D View from Rear.png 
Views:	560 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	6479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	120801 2D View from RH.png 
Views:	492 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	6480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	120801 2D View from Top.png 
Views:	500 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	6481

Build requirements are to use as many standard components as possible and any unique parts must be able to be made on a Pillar drill. I tried to design it so there had to be no sections that had to be cut to length, but I'm afraid I was only happy with a design that involved the 4 long X Axis beams to be of exact length. All other joints are on the main faces of the extrusions.

To repeat my self slightly My choice of components are governed by 3 factors 1) Cost, 2) Sizing, where possible they are Multiples of the 20mm of the sections I have used & 3) The need for nothing more complicated than a pillar drill.

The machine has come together quite chunky, but that to me is OK as I want to machine metal quite a bit of the time, say 10-20% and I have allowed the cutting area to extend over the rails at the front to give a solid base as I can for doing this.

I will put a Bill of Materials (BOM) on here soon, it's just a bit messy, as it was being constructed along side the drawing. I posted some of the major specs in my introduction, but a BOM will give a more complete story.

I may do a slight redraw to include the DumpsterCNC anti-backlash nuts as for the price I'm not sure my idea, to be posted soon can compete! I have tried to justify Ballscrews, but I wince at the prices and speed and accuracy are not my ultimate goals. I may change my mind of course once I start making stuff, but I am fairly confident I can retro fit them at a later date, without too much trouble. Mostly I want to get a machine going so I can start learning!!!!

I'm happy to provide more detailed views if you need them and really want to know if this design is viable.

Cheers,
Geoff.