OK so recently I bought a Book on how to build your own CNC machine having read on another forum about someone who had actually done it on a very low budget.
After buying the book & reading it I set about starting a build but also started to look around on the internet as a matter of further research & to try & source parts.
That was when I first came across some of the forums like this one & having read quite a few threads now with input by some people who obviously know what they are talking about it would appear that alot of people see these machines as a waste of time & money.

So the question really is where do you start with something like this?? For starters I wouldn't really know where to start designing a machine & what makes a good design & what doesn't so even if I some how managed to design something it may well be worse than the machine in the book lol. Secondly if you do get to the stage where you have a usable design how do you go about manufacturing it? From some of the posts I have read on here you need a machine to make a machine (chicken & egg) so how do you get round that one.

Kind of in an awkward situation now because I have made quite a bit of the book build machine & I thought things were going really well but now I am not so sure & don't know if I would be wasting my time finishing it off. If I don't finish it then I will have to completely rethink everything because the cost of building a machine is going to be far higher than I had at first thought.