Quote Originally Posted by m.marino View Post
You set up index plates on the top and bottom of the box section which not only would help deal with small distortion of welding But also give you a rebated straight edge with which to create a master index edge for setting up the rails with. This also has the advantage of being able to do dis-assembly and certain types of maintenance much much easier. First you have to decide which edge is you master edge and work from that in the actual building. Though bolting works much better in most cases. This is why King bridges that are bolted together from many plates have been know to last over 80 yrs of active use.

Michael
That would be very tricky to do as the box section is 60mm and the rail base plates are 65mm.......unless i've completely misunderstood. I'd have to mount somthing to the side and offset by 2.5 mm. Tricky but doable.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I should have been clearer, it might be out too much even before welding, but you can get round that. Instead of welding three pieces together couldn't you start with one or two bigger sections, then bolt them to a back plate? If you have a fastener every 100mm or so you can use them to adjust and remove the bend enough to mount the rails. Two pieces of 90x45 aluminum extrusion to mount the rails on would be fine, or you could use aluminium box section.
There's no way im going to be able to bend the box section. I'd expect the ali back plate to bend before the steel. However they do "look" straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Spacing the Y-rails out 200mm+ to accommodate the ballnut mount would be good as in addition to making the axis much more rigid due to the ballnut being in the optimal position, it will also make make it stronger because the bearings are further apart. However you don't want the rails too far apart without increasing the spacing of the bearing blocks since it risks them skewing/racking. The ballnut mount could be made a fair bit shorter by moving the mounting holes and having only one available ratio without changing the belt.
Right so that sounds like the ballnut mount is upright mounted against the Z upright and runs between the Y box section beams. I had i laying on it side poking out the back. The rail base plates would be approx 330mm apart if the mount is 200mm. What could you get the ballnut mount down to?