I'm a software engineer - I can already anticipate the jokes on not being a "proper" engineer on this forum, so perhaps I should re-phrase that to "programmer". Perhaps there are some good jokes I've not heard yet ?

I'm looking to acquire some new skills and solving some problems by building a CNC router.

A few years ago I started playing with arduinos, micro-electronics, and physical computing.
I've always built models, had a go at DIY with OK results when I have the time.
Half the enjoyment is in figuring things out and learning new skills along the way...

I've been reading about CNC routers for 6 months, but only really considered building my own as a possibility since
discovering this forum. Some of the build logs are inspiring !

Also, I've been very impressed at how friendly everyone is... (please keep it up folks!).

I can see it's possible for others; others who clearly doubt their ability to overcome all the problems and finish a build they are happy with
... which is exactly what I'm feeling now. Slight trepidation. Slightly terrified of being ripped to pieces, but still wanting to have a go.

I'm lucky enough to have a garage with some room... cars sleep outside ... which is freezing,
so top of my list is to get some insulation and draught-proofing in there to make it a more pleasant work area.
Has anyone else done this ? Any tips on a cozy set-up appreciated.

Wondering also if I do sort out the draughts, whether it'll be too damp to store any precious man-toys out there.
It's not really damp, just enough moisture in the air in a cold building I think, maybe not helped by a freezer sitting out there either, or that it's a detached garage stood on its own, but it is enough to make tools rusty if left un-oiled/greased for extended periods.
By all accounts a CNC router is way too heavy to drag indoors for protection from everything... and I don't think leaving a PC out there overnight is a great idea... what do you other folks do to protect your kit ?

I've not done any metal-working beyond making a bottle-opener at school, some 30ish years ago.
I gave it up as soon as possible, given the prospect of sharing a class with bullies and thugs,
who were armed with hammers and chissels in the lessons ! Shame really because looking back I think I
would have enjoyed the "making" side of things those lessons offered.

So... metalwork skills may be a hurdle to overcome. Ok.

I've also never done any welding. Everyone here seems to be a skilled welder, or know someone who is.
Without welding skills, welding tools or contacts who can weld, a steel frame seems out of my reach.
... though having spent a few evenings watching non-stop MIG welding courses on YouTube it doesn't look like
rocket science. I hadn't done soldering 3 years ago, and now I know enough to get a non-dry joint most times.
I doubt I'd be doing much welding in the future, so getting a machine just to build a CNC "frame" seems a fair overhead.

All those sparks look fun I'll admit, but is it worth going down the welding route to build a solid frame, or should I stick to the idea of building an (albeit more expensive) frame/chassis from Aluminium profiles instead ?

I suspect that once I have a CNC machine built, I would mostly be doing wood-based projects, so investing in welding kit is probably a waste of cash if it can be avoided.

I'm still not sure what size of machine to attempt. 2"x3" is probably big enough.

My favoured design is moving gantry, fully supported rails, ballscrews, spindle. Hopefully there's no need to repeat the good advice I've heard repeated several times on other builds logs... most of the time.

I'd like it to cut aluminium, but most of my projects will undoubtedly be wood, so I understand I need to design for worst-case loads.
I fancy trying to mill PCB prototypes eventually too.

I see from other posts that a pillar drill is an essential to get holes vertical.
I've also heard that this one is better than most in the sub-£200 price bracket :
Buy Axminster ED16B2 Pillar Drill from Axminster, fast delivery for the UK
Has anyone got views on that ? or better suggestions for the price ?

Are HSS drill bits suitable ? Suggested links anyone ?

What other tools do I need before I get started ?

I have a B&Q chop/mitre saw on 20mm-ish linear rails, with a new blade (apparently able to cut aluminium), a bench-mounted grinder (rough/smooth), a random assortment of woodworking tools, 300mm digital calipers, a hand-tapping set (never tapped a hole in my life ... yet),
cuddly toy...

Also, ideas for simple project suggestions to do so I can acquire the skills I'll need to build a CNC machine ?
It'd be better to screw-up cheap materials learning how to build things more accurately than ruining expensive profile/plate.

As I said, I have soooo much to learn...

... Starting with SketchUp unless there are any suggested alternatives which won't cost me an extremity.
Here go my evenings for the rest of the year...