By profile I mean a profile of the part being machined.

Here's an example:-

Loco wheel with cutter selected, Op 5, Op 6 is the pockets, only one is selected but it's been told to cut all pockets drawn on the same layer.

Now the pocket isn't clean, there are some pips left as it cuts at 70% overlap by default [ can be changed in options but 70% works for most things ]

Double click Op5 and you get the same dialog box come up as when you set it.

In this box we see the overlap which I will change to 65% also you get a choice of how to contour, which way to go regardless of how it was drawn, no stupid arrows. Choice of travelling at clearplane or feed plane, that machine all contours I mentioned and ignore cup depth makes it do the last cut at full depth less any excess put on for the last cleanup pass.

Click OK and see the result.

Job done, now up to this point no code has been written at all, you can play about to your hearts content and ONLY when you are happy with the screen shots do you press Post code and select the post processor.

The code should be perfect and the only editing I do is on the machine and play with the speeds and feeds depending on how it's cutting.
The first time I ever see the code is when it's loaded into Mach or whatever.

I never have to edit the code, if I want any changes I change the operation, watch the preview and post a complete new code.