Hi

I will be finally getting round to building machine I have had in mind, over the next few weeks, and could d with some advise. I want to build a strong machine, and can get the frame built up. I really want 1200mm or better Y. 2.2 or 3.2, on X, as much depth and can get on Z.I want the Y and Z to be strong enough to handle a B/C type head if needed, but will mostly be used for cutting stone.

Opinions am looking for

Gantry

1. X configuration motor choices and design. Am Thinking Nema 42 single motor 2 ball-screws, or 2 nema 34s and 2 ball screws.

1.1 Nema 42 bolted to end of machine, timing and gears to drive 2 ballscrews ( what problems will I face ),
1.2 2*nema 34s, (driving direct or geared ? ) and slaved ( does this give accuracy problems )

Table build.

I can get steel at reasonable rates and ally if needed, and my brother makes gates and has workshop with tools and jigs, am thinking that for end accuracy and convenience, I am going to get it made in 5 bits at least ( unless advised otherwise, 2 sides, 2 ends and the bed ). and bolt it together and tack it on site. I know I am going to have to take a long time makings sure the frames level and accurate.

2.1 any advise on what profiles, thickness’s or design am thinking 125mm box section, 2 oblongs about 1.2mtr high by 3.2mtr long, and 2 squares 1.2mtr
2.2 am making the bed in three sections, very sturdy, ( 1 4th axis, plasma/laser, printing area ). any advice ?

I will ask the other questions when I have finalised the design, am currently reading through the threads to get tips ) . Your opinions will not not be wasted, I have the funds to build this and I want to get the frame built next week, and the motors and heads ordered this Friday or Monday. Am thinking about 1200 for motors and electronics , 800 for the metal for the table ( cost price ), 600 or more for rails and screws. ( leaving 400 unbaked but can be increased ) .

cheers