Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
I'm thinking this is going to be my Charge Pump relay circuit. My BOB ENA signal is active low so the relay will be in the 'healthy' state when de-energised, this is not fail safe and I could have inverted the signal but it's going to do. The BOB is supplied by 24vdc and so GND is common to the 5v and the 24V.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cpdiag.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	10822
Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
Irving, you are right, I just threw the drawing together on Paint and I have indeed got e and c crossed over. What would your plan be to make it failsafe ?

Maybe this ? (sorry for poor drawing, no tools at hand on this pc)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cprev2.jpg 
Views:	526 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	10832
Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
that'll do it. i'd put a series resistor between BOB and base of transistor, value depends on pull-up on BOB. If there is no pull-up (i.e. its an o/c output) use 10k to 5v rail.

R needs to be something like 2k7 0.5W rating if connected to 24v, or 470R 0.125W if connected to 5v rail.

BD679 is fine as output transistor if a bit of an overkill. Any small signal NPN with a gain >50, Vce >40v and Ic >200mA will do for the input transistor e.g 2N3904, BC337 or similar

R needse 2k7 0.5W rating if connected to 24v, or 470R 0.125W if connected to 5v rail.

BD679 is fine as output transistor if a bit of an overkill. Any small signal NPN with a gain >50, Vce >40v and Ic >200mA will do for the input transistor e.g 2N3904, BC337 or similar
Please forgive my ignorance but could someone explain how this will work in basic terms? Why is Eddy's first circuit not fail safe and how does the next circuit achieve that?

Sorry, I've not had a lot of sleep over the past few nights (babies all have colds....) and I think my brain may be turning to mush.