Morning all,

I was going to post this in my build log thread, but thought I'd put it here, as its more appropriate.

Anyway, I have made some good progress with my machine and was going to run a quick test yesterday on a simple job to mark a centre point and then 4 6mm "dowel" holes for a double sided job I have some stock for.

Switched on the VFD (one of the 2.2Kw jobs from Chai) and was immediately plunged into darkness. Groped about for a torch/inspection lamp and reset the RCD (30mAmp) coming into my workshop (it has its own consumer unit, so the main house was unaffected). Thought to myself "may just have been a fluke" so tried again and the RCD tripped again. Its not an overload/short as the VFD has its own MCB and is the only thing on that circuit.

Check my wiring and also fitted the filter I bought from Arc Euro last week, just in case, but every time I switch power to it I get the same result.

So I'm a bit stumped (I read Jonathan's thread, but his seemed to be a dodgy wire and I have good continuity on all my wiring).

Unless anyone has any suggestions I'm thinking the VFD may have "bought the farm" during its long period of idleness, so will likely grab a new one from ebay. Other than that I'm then looking at the RCD itself and perhaps running a completely new circuit or a different RCD rating.

Cheers

Chris