Hello

My name is frank and I am 30 year old a Furniture and cabinet designer from manchester. I have recently graduated from a 3D design degree at Manchester School of Art and was lucky enough to have access to a full size (2440x1220) CNC Router, laser cutters and 3D printers. Unfortunately I am now back in the wilderness and am really missing having access to CAM facilities. I use Solidworks to design most of my pieces and would love to be able to cut out frame work straight from my CAD files.

I am able to use our local FAB Lab but I need more day to day access.

This has led me to think about building a CNC router.

I have been thinking about it for some time and think that now I am ready to start designing my build. It will be a 1220x1220 machine, mainly for cutting hardwood and plywood. I am also considering wall mounting as i have a small Garage workshop and what with all my wood working machinery space is at a premium. I was thinking of using Aluminium extrusions as I am unfamiliar with welding and do not own a welder, so steel is not an option. It seems pretty easy to assemble a frame and has the advantage of being fairly easy to drill and tap.

This build will be done over the course of the next year or so, as money is tight and I will have to buy things in dribs and drabs. I intend to build the frame first and then worry about electronics later. Two things i have loosely decided upon are the fact that it will have two stepping motors on the y axis synced through software rather than timing belts and i will use supported rails and bearings for linear motion on all axis. I am also planning on using ballscrews, but am a bit lost on the details and sizes I would need to have working dimensions Of 1220x1220 (half a sheet of plywood).

I have been looking on Zap Automation, CNC4U and of course the ever faithful ebay and whilst there are many options, I thought I would seek out some help from you guys as you all seem to know your stuff! I have read many build logs and must say I am very impressed with what people are producing and if I can build something 10% as good I will be a happy man!

I would love your input and advice and hopefully I can get started.

One question to kick things off, I notice alot of people use Mach3. I am used to using Artcam, is this rubbish or is it just as good?

Thanks for reading my very long introduction and hopefully hear from you all soon

Regards

Frank