Hi all,

I'm a joiner by trade and have always been interested in working with wood/Alu but sadly don't have a workshop at the moment.
Knowing that the router is the most versatile tool in any woodworkers (power)tool arsenal, but most things have to be jigged(lack of space for jigs), I decided I'd like to try my hand with a bench mounted CNC router. I have a "box room" upstairs which, at the moment is used for a bit of storage, which can be used for a bench mounted machine.

Now, I don't think I'd have any trouble with designing a self build, the hardest part (before I actually turn on a machine) would be learning how to use the drawing programs (I'm currently "trying" to teach myself draftsight).

I would like an aluminium machine to cut down on the weight, given that it would be located upstairs. I've read quite a few threads and notice that the vast majority try stay away from aluminium, preferring steel due to its superior rigidity. I also realise that lots of members say that cost is also an issue (what is saved on steel over alloy more ££ to spend on better components), but I'm quite lucky that I have a good friend who works for a local stockholder, so procurement of materials should be ok.

My idea initially for a strong rigid alloy base (yes, I can already hear you chuckling to yourselves lol) is to build a torsion box and have another friend who is coded, weld it all together, then to make sure it is perfectly flat, it's then back to friend 1 and his contacts to have the box surface ground on both top and bottom (just like sending a piece of wood through a planer thicknesser really).

I also have the blessing of SWMBO for this project, she has even told me she was going to buy one of the Chinese 3020 outfits from a well known auction site!

Anyway, I feel I've waffled on enough for now, I just hope that you are all as welcoming when I'm bending your ears with stuff that I feel I may be out of my depth with(hopefully in the very near future).

Martin.