Hi all.

Im having problems with the big machine down the farm.

Last time I was down there, I got it all working lovely. Since then, the computer it was all running off broke, and as such Ive had to start from scratch.

This was a pain in the arse to get working first time round, but dont remember it to be such a pain.

Im using a Dell Optiplex GX270, p4 tower. Running Windows Vista

The breakout board is a UIM2901-5A MACH3 BREAKOUT BOARD WITH SPINDLE SPEED CONTROL from zapp
manual link http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/en/a..._attachment=90

the stepper drivers are leadshine m860s, manual http://www.leadshine.com/UploadFile/Down/M860m.pdf‎

the wiring, is basic.
simply
Y AXIS STP >> PUL +
Y AXIS DIR >> DIR +
then DIR- and STP- wired back to the common on the same power supply the bob is wired too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wire.jpg 
Views:	1344 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	11319

Im only trying to get one axis working for now, Y

and mach is set up as the manual suggests

Name:	manual.jpg 
Views:	3664 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	11320

Name:	ports.jpg 
Views:	673 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	11321

Name:	tuning.jpg 
Views:	594 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	11322

If, I put the voltmeter across the end of the parallel port (pin 4+ , pin 24-) I read 3.3v when 'jogging' the Y axis in one direction, and 0v when jogging in the other.

likewise, if I put my voltmeter across DIR+ and DIR- on the driver (ie after the BOB) I get 5v one direction, 0v in the other

Ive repeated the above example using an LED. (led ON one direction, off in the other)

ive repeated the above 'test' using the pulse pins as well, it all appears to be working (ie until you jog, it reads 0v, you jog it goes high)

Problem is, I obviously cant prove the Pulse in the same way. However I can 'hot potato' the PUL+ on the driver with 5v from the common supply and watch the stepper motor move.

the wiring has not changed since it was fully working before.. the only variable is the Computer, the mach install and I suppose the fact the BOB has been kept in a cold barn with the machine.

Ive literally spent all day, tried two different peace's of different computer hardware. changed the parallel cable. cant think of anything else to change? or test exercises.

any thoughts... no matter how insignificant will be greatly appreciated.

ps in other news... got myself a donkey saw!!!

Name:	saw.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	11323