I'm using a Nema 34 8.0Nm motor to drive a spindle via pulleys, the ratio is 2.66:1 (18th on the motor and 48 on the shaft), speed is 240RPM. Torque curve for the motor is like this:

I'm running it at 68VDC from an SPS705 (5A) leadshine unregulated power supply. Motor is the 86HS80EC, with a HBS86 driver, running in a closed loop control (don't really need the closed loop at all).

I'm struggling with stalling in certain situations and was wondering whether bumping the current from 40% holding torque to say 80% would have a big effect on torque? the above torque curve is for 40% holding current, I've tried getting torque curves for high current percentages, but leadshine didn't have the required data.

It's been suggested (thanks Jazz!) to use higher voltage to get more umph from the motor, but sadly there's no space in the design for an AC powered driver like the Kinco 2280, so the best I can use is the AM882 + a bigger Nema 34 12Nm motor, but I'd like to experiment with what I already have before coughing up more cash.

Regards,
T.