Hi everyone, I’ve had a major change of plan from my original design build. It’s sort of grown a tad from the original X at 700mm to 1500mm so that I can drop a quarter sheet of plywood or phenolic ( high pressure laminate ) which will save me having to do tile the cuts on lots of jobs. I also want to be able to engrave a standard door or a lump of 4” / 6” thick oak post.

I’m still working on the design at the moment but getting my head screwed up as to do I use belts or ball screws or both. Could I use belts to drive both the Y axis ball screws and use just one motor instead of synchronising 2 motors ? I was looking at using nema 23 - 425 Oz-in motors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEW 1500x1000.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	288.9 KB 
ID:	12035

For the spindle I will be using an 1/2” router until I have enough funds to add a water cooled spindle. I’ve done a plan view so you can get an idea of what I would like to build, all steel framed and using SBR20’s for all the rails. X axis I was going to make up a lattice frame from aluminium extrusion and then laminate (epoxy) 2 sheets of 6 or 8mm plate to both sides, not sure how deep to make the beam but 6” or 8” (150 / 200mm)

As I want to be able to pass materials under the Y axis beams I was thinking of using 80x80x6mm with 50x50x3mm for the main frame, but might need to beef up the corners as this cnc will be floating on 4 corners. I welcome your input and won’t take offence but I may take the gate LOL

Lets me have your ideas as it’s easier to to make changes at the design stage and a lot less expensive. Failure to prepare is to prepare to Fail.

Mike