I have a router build coming along nicely but have hit a vfd shaped roadblock.

I acquired a 2.2kw spindle and huanyang vfd. Wired up the vfd (R,T and Earth) to a 13a plug, plugged in, vfd went bang (had ringing in ears for some time!). Not great. Made much worse by me being a stupid **** and not unplugging other stuff from sockets first. Results....£400 television now dead and hdmi port on 2 month old motherboard also dead. VFD on its way back to Portsmouth as we speak. Router has already had blood and sweat out of me...tears don't seem far off.

Been looking at alternative VFDs and settled on a TECO L510, only to notice the input current for 2.2kw is 21a....bugger...me being a **** again and thinking I was ok off a 3 pin 13a plug because the motor was rated to 10.5a. So would I have to get a sparky in to add a new circuit to run a 2.2kw vfd? If so, I think I will have to bite the bullet and go down to something smaller that will run off 13a plug (0.8kw I presume?). More money that I don't have but probably quicker and cheaper to downgrade spindle than to pay for work being done.

Also, only just learning now about shielding/noise etc. Firstly, my stepper wiring is all unshielded (7/0.2 and 24/0.2). Is this an absolute no-no or just a bit of a no-no? Secondly, when reading other posts , people refer to their frame being grounded. How do I go about this? I don't have any central wiring points or anything...just running stuff off 3-pin mains sockets. The TECOs have a built in filter. Is anything else required?

So to summarise:

1. Maximum spindle/vfd running off 13a plug?
2. Unshielded stepper wiring ok (just about)?
3. How to ground frame?
4. Anything in addition to built in filter and shielded motor cable required? While I'm at it, anyone know a good place to go for the cable?

Many thanks for your help guys....