. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi All,
    My router is running OK at the moment (shortly about to convert a rotary table and tail stock/chuck into a 4th axis), but I find myself looking to do some steel parts for various projects.
    What I am thinking of is a milling machine, which looking around for "bang for buck" is boiling down to these two:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMADEAL-AM...-/360422555676
    http://www.warco.co.uk/milling-machi...g-machine.html
    Both are roughly similar in travel, spindle HP etc. and both would be MT3 variants (I have a fair few MT2/3 bits from my lathe) but the Warco from the limited views looks to be a bit more sturdily constructed.
    Has anybody got experience of converting these to CNC and if I got another set of 3NM Nema 23 steppers, would they be up to the job or am I really looking at 34's? I can of course cut motor mounts etc. using my router and will probably use a box containing a pulley/belt for that purpose.
    Also I have seen various posts talking of epoxy/aggregate mix to essentially make a milling bed and I'm wondering whether this might be a cheaper alternative to a conversion - I'm thinking 3 slabs in essence with ground linear guides/rails; 1 for the base, 1 for the X and 1 for the Y - Z I haven't considered yet.
    In terms of timing its not urgent, so likely towards the back end of this year for either option, but obviously the conversion will be quicker in theory to complete.
    Opinions?
    Cheers
    Chris
    PS. I forgot to mention if I can get away with Nema 23's then I could use my existing control box - just swap the XLR connectors before using each machine (and make the necessary changes in MACH of course).
    Last edited by Washout; 10-06-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Thread Information