. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-11-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 176. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Well, I've decided to start building the router I pictured over at CNCZone.

Shall i build this router?

I'll do the build log here at CNCUK because there seem to be several people nearby... :) Thanks for your encouragement so far.

The build will be in 4 stages, partly to help my planning, and partly to spread the spending evenly (ouch!)

Stage 1: Build basic MDF structure, bearing carriages, and get it all moving. No alu at this stage. If the machine's looking sloppy or flawed I may call it all off at this point (I'll only be about £120 down).
    Stage 2: Fit motion components to structure (bearings, leadscrews, motors, etc)
    Stage 3: Wire up the electronics and get the machine moving.
    Stage 4: Fit router (kress), make test cuts, then re-cut the final MDF and aluminium skin components.
    Stage 5+ Do useful work. I'm not planning for this to be purely a toy - it will be earning its build cost back. Might also earn itself some upgrades in the distant future.

Attached pics: (how do I get them to appear in the thread?)
    Initial sketch
    Pile of MDF, with the base layed out dry
    Base glued and screwed, with gantry MDF cut
    Top surface of base, showing screwholes, and holes for later workholding (M8)

That's enough for now. Next step is to put the lower skin on the base (hope it doesn't fall through the floor), and order the bright steel bar....

Anyway, I have a prior history of almost finished projects. I hope putting myself under some pressure by posting will be useful!
    Feel free to give me grief for no progress!

Cheers,
    Tom

PS. Just tried to upload all the pics, but max size is 800x600. I don't really want to re-size everything manually - any way around this? CNCZone took the biggest size no problems.
    Sorry to keep you in (very mild) suspense chaps - it's late now...
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 02-01-2010 at 03:26 AM.

Thread Information