. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi all, I have decided to start planning my CNC machine again, My last post to introduce myself was three years ago! So I decided to do it again, I'm from derby and work for RR, I am a CNC cylindrical grinder, have been for 25 years with a couple of years in a mill turn toolroom thrown in. Hopefully this time I will actually start my project because last time the costs just put me off (well the wife anyway), I have an idea to use 100x50, 5mm wall section aluminium box section with 20mm alu plate and 40x40mm aluminium square to connect all parts together and would just like to know whether you thing it would be strong enough to mill wood, perspex and some aluminium, I will more than likely be using 20mm hiwin rails or some other profiled rails with 1605 ballscrews, 2x on the X axis (the long one) and one one Y and Z, Nema23 3oz steppers and a 2.2kw water cooled spindle I'm not sure on the drivers yet but that can be decided later.
    I have added a sketch to show you what I plan to to, The alu plate will run across the front and back of the machine and also the gantry sides and y axis plates/spindle mount.
    Will it work? or will it not be strong enough. I realise I will need some bracing to stop any sort of skew or twisting but I just want to know if I am flogging a dead horse using this Alu tube or if it will be strong enough.
    Thanks, CharlieRam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	idea.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	12747  

Thread Information