. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Following a brief mention by Jazz in a different thread, I had a look at the CS-Labs website where they say that the CSMIO/IP-M now has slave axis functionality. They also say that it does not include full gantry geometry correction (which the CSMIO/IP-S does do, at about 2.5x the price!). I have mailed them to see if there is any more information available, but this looks like an important enough development that it deserves a thread of its own.

My new machine has reached the point where I am thinking about an external motion control card, as well as alternating on a more-or-less daily basis about whether to go single motor/twin belts or two motors for X. Even if I go single-motor now, I don't want to get a motion controller that stops me going 2-motor at a later date if I feel it necessary. If I were happy with single motor then the IP-M would be my choice, but if it is single-motor only, I might look at alternatives (ESS maybe? Does that do slave axis homing properly now? Pure Logic PLCM-something?). This new development might solve the problem - IP-M can do both, has 24V operation for good noise immunity, decent opto-isolation and other nice features including spindle speed control on the same board. I'm guessing that there are others out there in a similar position, or at least thinking about upgrading to an external motion controller.

I've had a look at the IP-S manual to try to second-guess what the lack of gantry geometry correction might mean. As I understand it, the IP-S can do a calibration run where it homes both axes, measures the offset between home switches, and builds this into the configuration parameters. The user can then tweak the offset value to fine-tune for squareness, etc. Maybe the IP-M will lack this calibration capability, which means manual adjustment of home switches? Don't know - but would like to! It looks as if the IP-M manual available online hasn't been updated with this new functionality yet.

I shall post any more information received from CS directly, but would like to hear any other comments or information or especially experience of playing with it in this mode!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Thread Information