. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ok well I feel it's time to stand up and say something about this Stupidly excessive over building and Micro examining of build process's Ie Epoxy leveling going off on the forum.!!

So first let me say this is little rant is mostly for the sake of those sat on the side lines looking to get into DIY CNC. I'm not having a dig at any one individual and if you have the means to build like this then good luck to anyone doing so.

BUT I feel this flurry of Excessive over building using steel plate etc and the micro examining and unrealistic expectations of Epoxy leveling will be putting people sat on the said lines off building.
    While I don't have an issue with over building to some degree the current levels being seen on the forum for the intended use of the machines are rediculously OTT and really not needed. Those doing so just don't know it yet.!

So to those Sat looking in on DIY CNC and thinking to build please don't let these OTT builds deter you from building because it's perfectly possible to build great machine without going excessive on build structure.
    Obviously there needs to be some degree of strength and steel is a good cheap material but perfectly fine machines can be built without using it. Aluminium profile for instance is great and easy to work with material it just costs more money. Wood can be Ok if done right but not something I'd encourage.!

Now please don't let this sound like I'm trying putting anyone off using steel because I wouldn't and normally the one urging it to be used.
    What I am asking for is a reality Check on the Level of build strength and size of material being used for the Purpose of the machine. Also a calming down and realisation of the accurecy needed for the purpose of use. Ie Wood,plastics etc doesn't need 0.001mm levels of accurecy.

Most OTT machines are being built and used as wood routers with occasional Aluminium use with a relatively low powered 2.2Kw Spindle. The structure is hugely out of proportion to the use and spindle power available which in affect is wasteful. The excess cost could be better spent else where.
    The levels of accurecy that are being strived for are really not required for the use the machines are being put too. So again this is time and effort wasted. ( I very nuch doubt they are reaching or able to measure the accurecy they seem to think they are measuring, but thats another story.!!)

Time to get real folks and realise that for DIY use this level of building is just wasteful of time and money.

Message to Newbie's is don't be put off building. Good design and attention to detail along with wise component selection is far more important than a Massively built frame. It can be done relatively cheaply and give perfect results for many years it just needs careful prep and research along with asking lots of questions.

Happy new year building to all.!! (Now I'm going to hide and get my flack jacket on.! )
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 29-12-2014 at 03:11 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Thread Information