. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    :wave:I have a mini lathe and recently bought a Seig X2 mill. Already I want to CNC it. I read with interest, comments on this site, and have some questions of my own. Maybe someone can guide me to a site, book or WHY, particularly on compatibility of drivers & stepper motors. The articles on PMinMO.com looked interesting, but I'm still confused. My only advantage in this project is that I use Autodesk Inventor professionally.
    Looking forward to many exchanges.
    pequod

Lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-11-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 176. Referred 1 members to the community.
    With the lathe....
    I've got to admit I've never measured the alignment of the tailstock (mainly out of fear for what I would discover...) Mine's the old type (no camlock), and most people seem to start by remachining the dovetail on the base... Unfortunately I don't have a mill, so that's not an option.

I get away with it because my main use for it is hole drilling with jobber drills. The bores that I need to be accurate are usually large enough to true up with a boring bar (10mm dia+)

My only advice is before spending too much time on the tailstock, just make sure the headstock alignment is OK. Aligning the headstock is a nice excercise, and taught me alot about the lathe.

If you have an X2 then you should check out Daniel Kemp...aka Hoss2006 and see what can be done with it.
    I think this is the site Kip is talking about.
    http://www.hossmachine.info/

Thanks again Tom.
    Interesting stuff on hossmachine, but that threw me about the headstock alignment - I didn't know you could! So how do I go about it?
    Ed

Thread Information