Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
It would help if you decided on the physical size so that you can get some advise on the frame.
Line in the sand, let's say 600x400 working area, give or take 100mm. For this iteration.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
No offense taken. It's common for people to dismiss Experienced advice and seek other opinions when they don't hear what they want to hear.!
Truth is they sooner or later realise the advise was good, unfortunatly it's usually cost them money to realise this. . . . Called the price of learning.!

Sad thing is it needn't have done if they'd only listen.

To be honest it's a double edge sword advising people because those that do listen never really fully realise the bullet they dodged by listening so you never really hear from them because things tend to go fine and without issues.
Those that don't are often embarresed so never really say anything publicly and just go with what was suggested first time. (Although do often get PM or email thanking me and asking again.!)
Yeah, sure, I understand. And I am listening, don't worry. The choice for me is whether writing off £500-1000 on a crappy Chinese thing is a valuable learning experience versus investing the time and money into a £1500 DIY job first time - accepting that I might get things wrong, learn the hard expensive way.... I'm going to do some more stewing/thinking/reading.... mainly on the DIY side, get comfortable with the concept that I will have access to sub out any necessary work to those with the right tools.

As per my intro thread, I'm not averse to some fabrication, some welding; I've built numerous cars over the years (I know that's not totally relevant but I'm just trying to convey that I know the right end of a spanner, that's all!)... but likewise it's that knowledge of what needs to be done that's making me double-think whether I can really do it DIY without any mills, lathes, etc... just a bench pillar drill and a hacksaw... :D