Hi all,

'New' to the forum, although I have been browsing for over 4 years.

Eventually starting to CNC build process... MKI

I've done a LOT of reading, and calculations from several members (too many to mention)

Machine Aim:
  • To mostly cut 6mm MDF, plywood etc.
  • Also to cut 20-25mm woods (mixing from soft to hardish(oak))
  • Aluminium cutting (3mm) - maybe somewhere down the line...

I want to have the ability to cut A2 size (i.e. 420mm x 594mm ) - So with cut size, clamps etc:
Cutting size: 480 mm x 640 mm

Hardware etc:
For hardware I was thinking:
Nema 23 (3.1Nm) - Drivers [ Was thinking some 50v Drivers from CNC4You - powered by 36v ? ]
SBS20 rails + Support blocks
RM1605 Ball Screws and nut (Above 2 items from Chai - I've made contact and he said he is still shipping to UK and ready to take my order)
Aluminium Profiles (40x80 heavy duty, Ix: 26.87cm4, Iy: 101.19cm4) - The Support Rails will be bolted on top of them, so extra stability...
Router/Spindle: Looking at the Makita RT0700CX for now.
The Z Axis has the ability to move 140mm, but will initially only us ~40-60 of that - unless I drop the table/raise the machine.

The entire machine will be bolted down on a bakelite(?) top (super flat strong surface) with steel support under the top.
(Will see if I need to weld a movable table one day...)

Software, I've played around with bCNC and got a Arduino with grbl running on two Nem17's with a CNC Shield (Drivers DRV8825 - Will not use these on final machine)

Below is my design so far: [Version 4 mind you, but at a stage where I feel confident to post to ask for further assistance and advice from experienced people ;) ]
(Some final adaptions from JoeHarris, but really, the credit goes to the entire MyCNCUK Forum member builds!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC_V4_3.png 
Views:	316 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	17354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC_V4_1.png 
Views:	281 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	17352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC_V4_2.png 
Views:	286 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	17353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC_V4_4.png 
Views:	265 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	17355

Your input and thoughts on the design would be most helpful!