Ive been lurking here for a couple of weeks and first of all thank you to all for the good advice :)

I want to build a cnc router to begin with.

I started off looking at 6040 type machines but soon worked out they are a waste of time and money. Recently my friend just built a Mostly printed CNC which is great, but the Z is flimsy and it only moves in 0.1mm increments so for me thats out.

So I had a plan, If I buy the right electronic components, a decent controller and steppers. and build a cheapish machine with them, I can later move them over to a vertical mill conversion which is ultimately what I want but cant afford.

Is that sounding like a better route?

Ive been looking at the MDX - 340 as an off the shelf controller which seems good for the money, even after import. But does anyone do something like this in the UK?
Or am I just being lazy, and should build one myself?

For the mechanics, I dont know which way go at all, I dont want to sink I huge amount into it, but I realise I'll have to to an extent. Again it might seem like working ass backwards but if I buy ball screws that will later be compatible with a mill conversion then I can hopefully reduce buying everything again.

Anyway

Glad to finally be able to post :D

Any and all help most gratefully received!

Ben in Hampshire