My CNC experience is related to plasma cutting and more recently my mini-mill which so far has only been used to cut profiles from flat sheet and put holes etc in them as needed. I use Aspire or SheetCam for the CAM.

I am now converting my Bridgeport to CNC to expand my possibilities, all 3 axes will be controlled.

I need to make some parts for the Z axis drive and these can be done on my mini-mill which is handy as the Bridgeport is in 1000 pieces at present ;)

However, with my limited 2D knowledge so far, it was not until started modifying the drawings which were kindly sent to me by a previous converter that i realised how little I know about making the file for a 3D part

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	18537
The picture shows various views of it, it has features on front and back, holes, a large slot etc.

I know pocketing, contouring etc but what is the missing link here?

My guess was to machine all the front details, holes and the outside first from a larger lump of plate, this would give me a part with the edges to size and one side finished.

Then, flip over, pick up my X & Y datum from whatever corner I use, and machine the back face - this is where I hit the knowledge gap - do I remove the outline (it's finished) and convert the features needed (a T-shaped slot) into full outlines on their own or something else??

I have never seen any other CAD source and my 2D stuff seems very simple compared so???