. .
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
  1. Looking good mate, will do. Just been busy with other things, lame i know but hey!
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by HiltonSteve View Post
    Lee, not been trying to get hold of you, just not heard from you for a while. Send me the drawings and I will see what I can do.

Creep.........

BTW is that my Kress ?

John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Creep.........

BTW is that my Kress ?

Your Kress? No its not your bastard Kress, and the angle grinder is mine as well, now you are really taking the p......

*!/?-=# bastard let go me arm.................
    Last edited by HiltonSteve; 30-04-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HiltonSteve View Post
    Found a kress spindle mount tonight that I had made a while ago so decided to get it mounted on my machine.

Now have my new 1 HP DC spindle which covers 0-7000rpm and the Kress which does 10,000 to 30,000rpm. The kress will only be mounted when I need it for engraving etc but only takes a few seconds to mount, now got the best of both worlds...
    following this thread with great interest, what make is the primary spindle you have the one that does 0-7000rpm

regards,
    aidan

Aiden,

The primary spindle on my machine is detailed a little more in another thread I started - http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showth...machine-DC-1HP

But basically it was a spindle cartridge which I found in a box of bits and pieces which came with a lathe that I bought and was bundled up with some linear slides, looks like someone was thinking about making either a lathe or mill but never got further than collecting the parts together. I took the spindle cartridge and re-manufactured it into a usable ER16 collet version then bolted a 1HP DC motor to my machine and connected them together with a belt drive. Have a look at the attached thread and it 'may' make more sense...

So your question as to what make is the spindle head is..... mine! (sort of)

But, to make a similar spindle cartridge should be quite easy as after re-machining the one that I found I realized that there is not a lot to them, just get the right good quality bearings and the rest can be made on a lathe in a couple or 3 hours.

If you want more info then I will be happy to help and point you in the right direction.

What a great thread,

thank you its been was fun reading it,

If you were to start the build again would you change anything?

Well I know where to come when I build a bed mill, what a great thread, not to mention a great machine!! I expect you are very happy with it. I would be just standing back staring at it every now and then and in the words of a famous series and say " I Made This!" Cool

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Sorry I have been a bit quite lately, been up to my neck with finishing my bathroom and various other diy jobs which seemed like a good idea at the time but was definatly not, had no time to play in the workshop but that will change very soon....

Currently sitting in a hotel lobby in turkey waiting to go to the airport, 37 degrees and it's 9 o clock at night, been sweating my nuts off the last 2 weeks and can't wait to get back to some 'proper' weather!

As for my machine... What would I change, mechanically not a lot as it is rock solid and gets very good accuracy as it is, maybe ditch the steppers and go for servo's but that's a lot of money for little gain as for as I can see.

Other than that then the next upgrade will be a coolant pump system for when I am cutting aluminium.

Anyway, I will be back in the morning so nobody get any ideas about coming round and nicking it, it's that heavy now you will need a forklift to shift it!

Too late, it's in the Donald, mate.

Auction 9:00 am in the Saltbox Cafe.

John S -

Bastard...!

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information