Quote Originally Posted by Steel View Post
Mr Jacks what work area size do you need ?
Laptops are ok with parallel ports but some wont drive the mach3 software at the right frequency so you can download a program to your laptop that should fix the issue, just set the program to run at start up and you wont need to start it each time, its called rightmark cpu. just check the "run HLT command when os is idle" box under management that should be the only setting you need to make

Chinese machines like the 3020 or 3040 and 6040 are good machines some may have loose bearings but there around 25 pd for a pair of x axis bearings if you need them. Again work area size is whats important just make sure whatever you buy or build you can fit your work piece
THANKS for the info Dave, it's much appreciated
We are mainly wanting a cnc for engraving HDPE & Plastic (similar to stencils) that we can then use in patterns for casting silicone Moulds, so that we have some txt embossed into the side of the mould, the max size for these is about 50mm x 130mm, also we are would like to be able to engrave wooden pen cases & hopefully cut sections out of wooden & acrylic pen blanks! I.e. a take a acrylic blank approx 20mm diameter x 130-150mm long & cut out (with Valentine's Day coming up I'll say) hearts around the Blank then recast it with red resin so we get the red hearts in the blank when turned, also ideally maybe engraving pens & the bands but that maybe pushing it to far without a dedicated tiny machine? I realise the 30/40 machines I'm now looking at are bigger than required but if possible I'd like the option of being able to do other woodworking projects like plaques & clocks.

I wouldn't say it's for commercial use, but the penturning & moulds etc is a serious hobby that we are turning into a little sideline to boost our income.

I did order one of the parallel port 30/40s of Amazon, but cancelled it when I suddenly realised that my laptop that had been stashed in the cupboard for 6 years didn't even have a parallel port! I started looking on eBay at these two USB ones
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182425912226 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182253604089. I was thinking the 800w looks a lot better quality all round (as far as these Chinese ones go anyway) this is about at the top end of my budget!

So the big question is, Do you recon this 800w should do the job for us?