Thanks to all for the info. Apologies for the late reply but it didn't pop up in my email and we have been mega busy this week.

Jazz - Thanks for the info and the reply. The vertical machines sound interesting. I've not heard of them before so I will have a look around.

Davo - Agreed, the more I read the more questions it raises and I know what you mean about the snobbish crap but it's all good. I'm big enough to read between the lines 😃

Router - Cheers for pics and explaining the X-Raised gantry. I think we will pretty much looking at 4x4 for the time being. I'm not too fussed about the raised sides, my supplier will chop the 8 x 4 sheets down to 4 x 4 for no cost before delivery anyway so it's not a big issue. I don't do a huge amount of work with steel but I do know a couple of welders and a blacksmith so chances are I could get a good deal on getting a frame welded together!

Boyan - Point taken. I think some sort of surround would be a good idea. Especially if I end up doing a bit with ally sheet.

So just out of interest, I've been quoted a feed speed on 6000mm on Birch Plywood with a depth of at least 6mm on one of those machines. Do we reckon I will be able to match that or get close?

Thanks again for the input guys...its a big help!!