. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppo View Post
    Hi Desertboy,

Thanks for the comments. I did think about placing the supported rails on the side of the extrusion. The one reason that I didn't was because of the tolerances of the cutting of the aluminium profile for the Y axis. KJN quote, I think a tolerance of 0 to +2 mm. Which I thought if this was the worst case and was 2 mm over I would need to use shims. Whereas bolting to the top of the extrusion gives me a certain amount of wiggle room with the bolts in the slots to remove this tolerance if required. I'm not sure if that is best practice, it just seemed to make sense at the time I ordered the profile.

I did also consider direct driving the ballscrews. In hindsight the best thing I could have done is got 1610 instead of 1605 ballscrews and then I would have had speed as well as torque by direct driving them, but at the time of designing I think I was more interested in the speed and hadn't really considered the potential backlash issues. I could I suppose easily convert to direct drive later if backlash becomes an issue.

Cheers

Hi I'm waiting for my ballscrews to arrive from China they will come tomorrow hopefully they are in the UK been tracking them ;)

like you I should have bought 1610 at least I bought 2 1604 1m and 1 1605 1.4m

I've reversed conventional design with my short and long axis because I have 25mm supported rail fror the short axis and 15mm hiwin for the long one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame.png 
Views:	258 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	21729

I will hammer a lot more down when the ballscrews come but I was intending to just build it and only cad out the bits I need to.

I have a few choices for a base that's why I haven't worried too much at moment I thought get the axis moving first.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 17-05-2017 at 09:37 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Thread Information