. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm a little confused now with what I actually have. I fear a Frankenmyford (remember, it was one of the last ML7s off the production line, according to the serial numbers on lathes.co.uk)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	26472

The link to the conversion site that John provided at the head of this thread (bottom of https://cncyourmyford.com/modifications-needed/), suggests the extra bolt-hole on the left of the saddle is that of a Super-7 saddle, not the ML7. And the bore for the cross feed screw is 1/2"

If it was a late model ML7, was it actually an ML7R? I have a feeling that at some point the more basic ML7 adopted some bits of the S7, presumably in a vain attempt to keep manufacturing costs down by standardising on parts. In the same way, you cannot trust all threads on a single machine to be from the same family and every bolt needs checking if you need to replace or whatever - might be BSF or metric.

Agreed with standardisation (sweeping the factory floor for bits) to build up the lathe. No, not a ML7R, and ironically it has the clutch (one significant difference between the 7R and the S7).

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I actually made a 64 slot disc with slot opto sensors. https://photos.app.goo.gl/66KmdtD7TzUziNih7 you have to be able to move the sensors around to get the correct sync

edit: if I was to do it again I might have used a rotary encoder (it would have to be low count with a PP) But its been working for at least 3 - 4 years

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JH1GWVQbhxe6Z6Yo7 This is it simulating an arc that I needed to put on a roller for my belt sander
    Clive, if you don't mind I'll cross-reply here to avoid stealing too much(!) of th thin-client thread. This is likely to become something of a conversion thread.

Cheers for the photos - very interesting and useful. I do, and don't like your approach on the saddle - it's a nice design but for my purpose I think it protrudes somewhat into the user space (I've a 13' by 7' shed so have to tip-toe between benches and lathe). But I agree with the two MPGs (I've got one knocking about somewhere) - think that's a necessary solution to keeping a semi-manual mode on the lathe.

The spindle encoder?, I know mach3 needed 1ppr, heard that linuxcnc can use more, effectively. Your experience is that 64ppr is a good number?, it's as good a number as any I support. The quadrature encoding is usually easy enough - easier if you can get a twin-sensor coupler with a pitch smaller than the hole gap space, if you're not worried about symmetry on the A/B signals. That side of things doesn't worry me but good to see that you took the same approach as I'm thinking for the spindle mount.

This, just a placeholder for me to ask more daft questions as I move through the build.

Not sure what you mean by this

easier if you can get a twin-sensor coupler with a pitch smaller than the hole gap space
    re the 64 pp rev you you want it for threading then you won't be running the spindle fast. I think I have tested it at about 600 rpm. 64 was just the number I drew the disc in cad. you could also just use one sensor on the disc and another on a tooth some where as long as it is 1:1 with the spindle.

When I change the motor I might have a go at CSS (constant surface speed) with a VFD for the fun of it.

With the 3 sensors like mine it could do rigid tapping. Although I have never done it on the lathe.

Edit re the mpg's I used the same mpg's between the mill and the lathe with the same control box with 5 drives in it and one mesa card (using only one machine at a time)
    Last edited by Clive S; 08-10-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this
    Something like the TCUT1800X01,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	26830

This has 4 detectors at differing X/Y positions capable of quadrature encoding with index pulse.

Now that I've bought 10 of the little darlings I think I might need to upgrade my soldering iron. Or microscope. Or both.

Thread Information