Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
The differential lines are - not clear admittedly - intended to show the interconnect between your control system (MB3 in your case) and the servo controller.

Ah, sorry, didn't realise the MB3 support differential drives. If you're taking the signal over any distance then a differential twist pair is beneficial for noise-rejection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 12.32.20.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	28745

The bits circled in red - these are the LEDs of the opto-isolator inputs. The lead connected to the triangular bit is "+", the bar crossing the pointy bit of the triangle is ground. Hence - ground is 5,7 and the signal positive is 6,8. To the immediate-left of these are similar symbols, but reversed - these are normal (non-light-emitting) diodes intended to protect the LEDs from a reverse voltage as would be presented by a differential drive (LEDs are susceptible to damage like this).

Also, confusingly, over on the left - the triangular line drivers - the bottom output wire has a little dot on it - denotes an inverted signal. So "PLUS A" (ignoring typo) is PULS - non-inverted (active = high), and "PLUS B" is PULS - inverted (active = low). You could interpret (wrongly) the cross-over in the wires as the wires swapping - that's not the intent of the diagram - it's supposed to show an indeterminate length of cable. The drawing is designed to confuse.

EDIT:

12-24V between pins 11 & 28 - these are required for the control inputs shown, nothing to do with step/dir but likely required to provide control to the driver.
Brilliant - thank you. I agree from a newbie veiwpoint the drawings are difficult to interpret if you aren't experienced in that arena. I'm 99% OK now. Still confused on the 24v bit though :-/

Can't wait until I have to put settings in Mach4 - that should be fun...

thanks again