. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flippersplace View Post
    Hi, I'm in the middle of a similar project. So far I am good for 0805 parts, 3216 LEDs, SOT23 parts.
    Must have missed the e-mail notification.

What a splendid looking machine, is that a multi-nozzle head?

Yes its morphed into a bit of a monstronsity. Although I've still a few hundred PCB's to finish running through this machine I've already started collecting bits ready for making a new one based on the experience so far. This one has 24" X & Y screws and I will stay with that size for the new one. The primary factor for speed I'm finding is lower mass, so I'm thinking an overhead gantry type machine, with 1-2 heads on each side. Heads to be pneumatic preferably for both weight, speed and built in 'give' via compression.

For rotation, I think it's actually just easier to automatically rotate the PCB's base rather than each head, particularly as my Excel GCode generator groups sets of pick place operations per each rotation already. Automatic component feeding is always in the back of mind but thus far is not necessary.

But, what I'm really interested in is fast / light mechanisms for centering components, mounted on each head...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HL3-close-20110107.jpg 
Views:	3482 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	3547Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hr-column-20110107.jpg 
Views:	1581 
Size:	219.3 KB 
ID:	3548Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HR-close-20110107.jpg 
Views:	2132 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	3549Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usbcam-20110107.jpg 
Views:	1335 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	3550

Lives in legazpi, Philippines. Last Activity: 09-09-2011 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2.
    hello.. just wondering, how do you compute for the correct nozzle type for a specific product? is there a standard computation for the nozzle inner hole?
    hope someone could answer..

Tricky... :naughty:

I don't think you can do it simply as area * vacuum differential > mass of the component.

If you look at the tip it is cut to leak air. Bernoulli tells us that when you force air through an orifice it will try to close that orifice. Perhaps leaky is extra sticky.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nozzle.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	4467  

Lives in legazpi, Philippines. Last Activity: 09-09-2011 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2.
    so how do you generally select the type of picker that must be use?

Quote Originally Posted by hixo View Post
    so how do you generally select the type of picker that must be use?
    Pick one :whistling:

Aim for the largest that you can reliably pick the part with, allow for the worst case resolution on your tape feeder as well as the nozzle placement.

If physically aligning the part on the nozzle you may need to snatch it back when the tapper opens so a good flow rate helps.

OTOH, if you don't have an autochanger you may decide to compromise on a single tool that picks your entire selection of discretes.

Suck it and see

8. Hi Robin,

I too am working on a DIY SMT pick and place machine and I've found your work very inspiring.

Can I ask, where did you source the small linear slide for the Z-axis, the leadscrews and anti-backlash nuts from? Also, what shape Z-axis cam are you using?

Thanks,
    Matt.

Have you made any progress with this?
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Have you made any progress with this?
    Some. I got the tape feeder down to 4 moving parts per tape which is OTT. I want one moving part per tape with all the complicated levers mounted on the head so I only have to make them once.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information