. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Jazzcnc for taking the time to review this. The photos are really useful. My drawings are incomplete at this stage as I will be using a single ballscrew on the long axis as per your photo with a plate underneath between the gantry sides . But the tip on adding the extra reinforcement on the long axis is taken and accepted. HiltonSteve's router/mill also had this. It also solves the problem of mounting the BF/BK blocks very elegantly and protects the ballscrew from muck! Many thanks!!

Again the comment on the material thickness on the Z axis is accepted and you given me some food for thought on the gantry side plate lay back. My original idea is to get the cg of the Z axis between the bearings on the side plate, but as you say well, cost of getting the plate for the gantry sides has to be taken into account!

I note your comment about reversing the position of the Z axis linear slides and bearings - I see in your photos you are using Hwin/THK slides which have better torque load characteristics than Supported round rail and linear slides. I'll have a think about that one.

Measure twice cut once is the adage!!!

Kind Regards
    Mike

I spent some time experimenting with cutting MDF templates for the best layback and what you see in the pics is the outcome. I found it gives the best balance and can still be got from 12" x 3/4" plate from Alu warehouse with the minimum waste. Thou not exactly on centre of bearings it's pritty close.

Regards the Z axis I really would consider putting the rails on the front.! It does help regardsless of rail type used.
    Remember the Z axis when extended is basicly a lever and a weak lever will bend and flex.!!
    Like I allways tell folks.!!. . The machine is only has good as it's weakist part or component.!!. . . Unfortunatly I see lots make the mistake of building weak or inaccurate Z axis's. Which makes the rest of the machine no matter how well built or quality components used pointless because at the end of the day it's the Z axis which is at the sharp end taking the strain.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Regards the Z axis I really would consider putting the rails on the front.! It does help regardsless of rail type used.
    Remember the Z axis when extended is basicly a lever and a weak lever will bend and flex.!!
    Like I allways tell folks.!!. . The machine is only has good as it's weakist part or component.!!. . . Unfortunatly I see lots make the mistake of building weak or inaccurate Z axis's. Which makes the rest of the machine no matter how well built or quality components used pointless because at the end of the day it's the Z axis which is at the sharp end taking the strain.
    Good reasoning there JazzCNC...the placing the supported round rails on the moving part of the Z axis will add stiffness to that axis...

Hi John S & JazzCNC

You guys have got me going now and its late (got work tomorrow :cry: ) but I have revised the drawings with your suggestions in mind... its begiining to take shape and make sense.

Thanks guys

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My_CNC_4k_hidden_lines_top.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	5106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My_CNC_4k.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	5107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My_CNC_4k_hidden_lines.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	5108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My_CNC_4k_hidden_lines_front.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	5109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My_CNC_4k_hidden_lines_side.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	5110  

Thread Information