Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
First you'll get a stronger machine if you build it long and narrow rather than wide and short. It would also be easier to join ballscrews with a timing belt and use one motor and have the advantage of keeping screws in sync. Don't bother with timing belts only as they cost nearly as much as ballscrews by time you have bought belt and pulleys etc.
Also the ballscrews want to be 10mm pitch not 5mm if you planning on mainly cutting wood, if you need higher resolution then just put a ratio on the screws.
Thanks for your input Jazz, I had looked at doing it the way you suggested and may well go back to longer / narrower machine. Ball screw pitch I'm not sure what you mean by "ratio on the screws" I do need to have the higher resolution as the laminate I want to cut needs a high tolerance. It's harder than a lot of allies to cut / drill, so do you think I would be better using the 1605 bs ? I'm going take what you've said about the machines orientation and work on another plan, I do know I can rename the axis x & y to fit my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
The motor I linked to and the following one are probably the most popular ones on this forum:

SY60STH88-3008BF

That's 3Nm, so 424.8oz-in and 3.2mH... close enough for you?

I've measured the inducance of both motors and it does match the rating, within a reasonable tolerance.
Thanks Jonathan for the links to the motors. I've read your build logs with great interest well done. These are the motors / drive kit that I have been looking at 【Germany Ship】4Axis Nema23 stepper motor 425oz-in Dual & Driver CNC control kit | eBay and within my budget, your views are welcome on the kit. I'm keeping well away from those 268 drivers offered with some kits.

Thanks to all for your valued input.

Mike