Hello all!

I haven't posted on here for a good while as I've been a very busy boy (not machine building unfortunately) but at the weekend I decided to get on with it and get my machine actually moving.

I did post on here about 18months ago with regards to my build and I got some very helpful advice from several members (jazzcnc in particular) when it came to getting the electronics right. I purchased the leadshine MX3660 unit to drive my steppers which is a very nice bit of kit especially for a newbie machine builder like me.

I'm using linuxcnc. All seems to working well except the z axis. The x and y work fine which is why I'm confused as to why the z axis is not moving. All the steppers are wired up the same (parallel) and the lead screws the same on all 3 axes (4mm pitch trapezoidal). The only difference is the z is using a pulley and belt while the x and y are directly coupled.

The x and y move fine in all directions when holding down the jog key, whereas the z just stalls. If I keep pressing the jog key the stepper moves tiny amounts at a time but it won't feed or jog at all.

I'm kind of lost as to what I have done wrong as each axis has been setup exactly the same in both the Linux software and on the leadshine unit jumpers. Or am I missing something simple?

I have uploaded a video on YouTube to make it a bit easier to explain.

http://youtu.be/HdqXq71MUcE

Please excuse the very poor narration lol.