. .
  1. I need to mount a 13mm drill chuck onto a stepper motor shaft (don't ask!)

It seems most 13mm drill chucks come with a 1/2" female thread. Therefore I need a stepper motor shaft (M8) to 'drill chuck' thread widget/adapter ....obviously no such beast exists.

Now then, I could lay out for a 1/2" 24tpi UNF die ...but this is a one off that I'll never use again...so that not very cost effective. Therefore I was wondering ...would it be do-able to just re-tap the drill chuck's existing female 1/2" 24tpi UNF thread...to be an M12? (because I already have metric taps/dies)

Or will this be problematic?! (one issue jumps out, is that 12mm is slightly smaller than 1/2")

(btw the end result - if I get there - will be under light load)

Why not buy (or borrow) a 1/2" UNF bolt, cut the head off then drill it out to suit your stepper then put in a couple of grub screws in to hold it place.

JD!

Thinking about it, leave the head on then you can screw the chuck up to it and also put the grub screws through the flats on the head.

4. Quote Originally Posted by HiltonSteve View Post
    Why not buy (or borrow) a 1/2" UNF bolt, cut the head off then drill it out to suit your stepper then put in a couple of grub screws in to hold it place.

JD!

Super idea.... I guess some folks know how to go about this the right way & some folks don't (I'll be in the latter camp - so thank heavens for forums like this!)

(BTW: For once, I already have some suitable 1/2" 24tpi bolts!)

Are you sure it's 1/2" x 24 ?

Most chucks I have seen are 1/2" x 20 UNF
    BTW Steve if you 'borrow' a bolt what happens when the guy wants it back and you have gronched it up ? :question::question:

John S -

I was basing the "borrow" coment on what people say to me when they want to "borrow" something, nine times out of ten I never see it again....!

7. Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Are you sure it's 1/2" x 24 ?

Most chucks I have seen are 1/2" x 20 UNF
    BTW Steve if you 'borrow' a bolt what happens when the guy wants it back and you have gronched it up ? :question::question:

It's great to nestle in the bosom of those that know.

I went and checked what I'd bought, transpires I bought a 10mm chuck (not a 13mm chuck)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...lenotsupported

"3/8" x 24 thread."

Fortunately, the bolts I have were specifically bought for it at the time (a failed idea that I had, that I can now re-use these bolts for)

Thread Information