. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My experimental project continues. I couldn't wait, I just HAD to do some tests, which I documented yesterday in a short video.

While one could wish for higher possible speeds, I think considering it is driven by a stepper motor, the results are very good so far, so I will definitely continue. I am still waiting for cutters to be delivered, but for drilling it seems to work. I am now pretty sure that it will work also for turning, but of course, that still remains to be seen. Anyway, I'll be happy I made this, also because I often end up wanting to drill centre hole into something, and that's not that easy without a lathe, so if for nothing else, I will definitely be able to use it for that.

Anyway, while I will finish this with the stepper I have on the chuck now, I am already planning for an upgrade with a more powerful servo or a closed loop stepper. I have already started to look for solutions even for that step. Unfortunately it is not just about changing the motor, because it means I have to change the plate it is fixed to as well, and also get a new timing belt as well as maybe a new pulley. So it may take some time before that step is done.

Right now I am considering this motor:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3285...4b6e2e0eyN2Gxo

I have no experience with any closed loop stepper, so I would like to ask the experts. Do you think it is worth the money? My steppers are 1.8Nm type, and this is 3Nm. Would that 1.2Nm make a big difference? Would it run faster? Remember that my current stepper is running at 2280rpm in the video, which due to the 1:6 reduction means 380 chuck rpm, so anything below that is not good. Currently I run the stepper at 2 microsteps, so 400 steps is one rev. and I intend to continue with that. The test condition in that link says 1600 microsteps but I think they mean 8 microsteps per step, which will give 1600 steps per rev. The motor is weaker at that high microstep, and is easier to get higher RPM at lower microsteps.
    Last edited by A_Camera; 22-05-2021 at 07:01 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A_Camera For This Useful Post:

Thread Information