Hello people,

I have an CNC router table, far from perfect, that I've been building for the past ten months now. It's nearly finished, and I should make the first few cuts in a few days.

The machine has a 2300x1800mm footprint, and has a working area of about 1500x1000x15mm. It is made of 24mm thick MDF, weighs about 300kg. The router is a 2.2kW water-cooled spindle with VFD. I've got a nice control box, works like a charm with 4xAM882 drivers, 4x4.2A Nema23 425oz.in motors, 70VDC linear PSU, and all the main safety things required. I've got SBR20UU on all axes, and Z has an SFU1605 300mm long, Y an SFU1610 1300mm long, and X has two SFU2010 2000mm long.

Problem ?

When I designed it, I just went too big, and too weak for the size (not stiff enough). I can barely work in that room anymore, it was a huge mistake that I made.
(note that this is an outdated photo, braces are to be added to the gantry, obviously)
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100068.JPG 
Views:	282 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	17995

So ?

Well, I'm re-considering things. I would like to discuss here your thoughts on building a smaller machine, much, much smaller, or even buying a good kit, that can fit my electronics and spindle. Building it myself is cheaper, that, I know, but considering the time it took me to design and build this one, I'm not too sure I'm up to the task. However, I could use this machine to machine some parts for the new build, that would definitely save me a LOT of time.

I've seen some builds here on the forum. Boyan has some nice ones, made of steel 10x10x3mm steel tubes. I've seen Graeme's machine, it's beautiful. I know most, if not all of you always do epoxy levelled machines. Again, I'm not too sure I'm up tot he task.

To be honest, even a ShapeOko would be great, but I can't fit a 2.2kW spindle on it, and my motors and PSU will be overkill for it.

So, what do you guys think ?

All the best, and still alive !
G.