PDA

View Full Version : How to get the best flatness

hoezap
12-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Hello

Thanks for entering my post

What sort of system do you use to get the best flatness on hard material like heat treated steel.

We are supposing to machine a normal plate rectangular or square shape of any dimension, clamped firmly on the bed.

I can see some machinists using normal face-milling with tips, and some of them use the technique “always the same direction” which is the most traditional method.

Some others use the technique starting from outside and going around, climb milling, and finish in the middle and rolling on the corners.

The latter seems very efficient on hard material.

Some others use the system with wiper inserts.

What sort of method you use and what sort of tolerance are you able to get with you method?

Are you able to get flatness with a tolerance less than 0.015mm

Thank you for your support

Gary
12-09-2016, 07:31 PM
For heat treated steel, grindng on a surface grinder would be used.

Hello

Thanks for entering my post

What sort of system do you use to get the best flatness on hard material like heat treated steel.

We are supposing to machine a normal plate rectangular or square shape of any dimension, clamped firmly on the bed.

I can see some machinists using normal face-milling with tips, and some of them use the technique “always the same direction” which is the most traditional method.

Some others use the technique starting from outside and going around, climb milling, and finish in the middle and rolling on the corners.

The latter seems very efficient on hard material.

Some others use the system with wiper inserts.

What sort of method you use and what sort of tolerance are you able to get with you method?

Are you able to get flatness with a tolerance less than 0.015mm

Thank you for your support