PDA

View Full Version : which wire for stepper driver to socket on control box

the great waldo
26-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Hello all

I finally gave up the idea of upgrading my old makko 850 with acme threads and went for one of these https://www.sorotec.de/shop/Portal-milling-maschine-CL-Line-0805-DIY-4863.html
I am in the process of wiring up the control box and will be basing it on this wiring diagram http://www.sorotec.de/webshop/Bedienungsanleitungen/schaltbild/steuerung_pro.pdf I am using leadshine em705 drivers and was wondering if one has to use screened cable from the driver to the socket for the stepper on the case or is normal stranded wire ok? thanks in advance.
cheers
Andrew

JAZZCNC
26-03-2018, 06:11 PM
was wondering if one has to use screened cable from the driver to the socket for the stepper on the case or is normal stranded wire ok? thanks in advance.
cheers
Andrew

Ideally you would use Screened cable but if it's short run and not located near high voltage wires ie: Mains voltage then you'll be fine.

the great waldo
26-03-2018, 08:15 PM
Hi Jazz.
Thanks for the info it. It is a short run but i'll go for screened wire. Any idea about wire specs on the wire? The steppers are just over 4amps https://www.sorotec.de/shop/Stepping-Motor-4-2A-Bipolar-3-NM-Nanotec.html tia.
Cheers.
Andrew

JAZZCNC
26-03-2018, 08:34 PM
Hi Jazz.
Thanks for the info it. It is a short run but i'll go for screened wire. Any idea about wire specs on the wire? The steppers are just over 4amps https://www.sorotec.de/shop/Stepping-Motor-4-2A-Bipolar-3-NM-Nanotec.html tia.
Cheers.
Andrew

0.75mm2 CY cable is what you need.

the great waldo
26-03-2018, 08:38 PM
Hi Jazz.
Thank you for the info and your time.
Cheers.
Andrew

the great waldo
27-03-2018, 09:52 AM
Hi Jazz
One last question (I promise) regarding wire specs, Sorotec sent me 0.5 mm wire with the set, is it worth the effort to go for 0.75mm wire. I'll stick with this machine until i'm pushing up the daisys so I don't mind putting in a bit of effort in getting things right now.
Cheers.
Andrew

Clive S
27-03-2018, 11:33 AM
Sorotec sent me 0.5 mm wire with the set, is it worth the effort to go for 0.75mm wire.

It depends where you are using the wire 0.5mm is fine for signal wires.

the great waldo
27-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Hi Clive
I presume they sent it as the cable from the steppers to the control box, I`ll have to check that as they have only sent some parts for the controller but there must be 10 or 15 meters of cable. When I get home i'll check on my receipt to see if there is anything else coming. Would the 0.75 wire you recommended be thick enough for the 4.2 amp motors.
Cheers again
Andrew

Clive S
27-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Hi Clive
I presume they sent it as the cable from the steppers to the control box, I`ll have to check that as they have only sent some parts for the controller but there must be 10 or 15 meters of cable. When I get home i'll check on my receipt to see if there is anything else coming. Would the 0.75 wire you recommended be thick enough for the 4.2 amp motors.
Cheers again
Andrew

Andrew where did I recommend 0.75mm cable ? I said 0.5mm is fine for signal wires but you will need 0.75mm for steppers (CY 4 is good ) as Jazz said. the screen on the CY cable needs to be grounded to the star point in the control box. ( at one end only)

A star point is just a connection point where all the grounds connect to in one place (it is to stop current loops)

the great waldo
27-03-2018, 01:08 PM
Hi clive.
Errr sorry Clive I got you mixed up with Jazz, i'm on 3 weeks of antibiotics, it tends to scramble the brain a bit.
Reply 4 mentioned 0.75.
cheers.
Andrew

Clive S
27-03-2018, 02:08 PM
Hi clive.
Errr sorry Clive I got you mixed up with Jazz, i'm on 3 weeks of antibiotics, it tends to scramble the brain a bit.
Reply 4 mentioned 0.75.
cheers.
Andrew

Yes that is correct for the steppers. Good luck with the build

JAZZCNC
27-03-2018, 04:53 PM
Hi Jazz
One last question (I promise) regarding wire specs, Sorotec sent me 0.5 mm wire with the set, is it worth the effort to go for 0.75mm wire. I'll stick with this machine until i'm pushing up the daisys so I don't mind putting in a bit of effort in getting things right now.
Cheers.
Andrew

Andrew if you have 0.50mm2 it will work ok but if buying new cable then go with 0.75mm2 as it's better choice.

the great waldo
27-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Hi Jazz.
The better choice always sounds better to me, so i'll go with the heavier wire. The basic kit wasn't cheap so I don't mind spending a bit extra to get it right.
Cheers.
Andrew

JAZZCNC
27-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Hi Jazz.
The better choice always sounds better to me, so i'll go with the heavier wire. The basic kit wasn't cheap so I don't mind spending a bit extra to get it right.
Cheers.
Andrew

Shame you didn't come on here before buying we could have saved you lots of money.!

the great waldo
27-03-2018, 06:21 PM
Shame you didn't come on here before buying we could have saved you lots of money.!

Hi Jazz

I'm living in Austria so getting heavy stuff shipped out of the UK normally costs an arm and a leg. I've bought plenty of cutters and suchlike from sorotec and have been very happy with their service. The reason I wanted a kit was that if I put it together myself and have a problem I should be able to pinpoint the probelm as I know how the thing is put together. I'm not sure how much a similar machine kit would cost from the uk (maybe you could enlighten me?) I'm of an age and situation where I can afford not to walk 10 miles to save a tanner on bus fares, did enough of that when I was young and skint. But I still want to do as much as possible myself just for knowings sake, and i`m very grateful for all the help that I have received on this forum and it's members (including you!!:beer:) I'll probably be asking more questions hopefully not too many stupid ones.
Cheers

Andrew

KEEP MUSIC LIVE!!!

JAZZCNC
27-03-2018, 06:53 PM
Ye I know in Austria but I was actually talking more about the electronics than the machine it's self. For instance 59.00 euro for 3Nm stepper is way to much.

For instance this would have worked with that machine perfectly fine and shipped from Germany. Also because the inductance is roughly half the sorotec it would actually outperform the sorotec motor.

https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/hybrid-stepper-motor/dual-shaft-nema-23-unibipolar-18deg-283nm-400-ozin-4a-57x84mm-8wires-23hs33-4008d.html?mfp=16o-ship-from%5Bgermany%5D%2C24-no-of-lead%5B8%5D

Edit: And this one is actually the same motor as the sorotec in spec terms or very close!!

https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/hybrid-stepper-motor/dual-shaft-nema-24-cnc-stepper-31nm-439-ozin-60x60x80mm-8-wires-24hs34-3008d.html?mfp=16o-ship-from%5Bgermany%5D%2C24-no-of-lead%5B8%5D

the great waldo
27-03-2018, 07:39 PM
Hi Jazz

You have a point but I checked the prices for 3 steppers and the shipping comes out to 60 euros so it's not far off the sorotec price and I don't have to wait for delivery from China. If possible for basic stuff i'll try and keep one supplier and not bounce around all over the place. If I was going to be making a run of these machines then sure I would shop around. The steppers listed by sorotec are from Nanotec (I don't know if that makes it any better or worse from all the other chinese stuff) but they seem to be of reasonable quality. At the moment my most valuable asset is my own time (totally overloaded with work) so having a centralized supplier seems sensible, also there is someone that actually answers the phone there when I call. That is unusual these days. When I get the main parts delivered i'll maybe try and post some photos. There are some you tube vids online which I saw and kind of edged me into buying this particular set. Hiwin rails are delivered as standard which means they are not just supplying the cheapest parts available.
Cheers

Andrew

JAZZCNC
27-03-2018, 08:07 PM
Ok well, can only lead a horse to water can't make it drink.! . . But Just so you know they ship from Germany and quick look shipping to salzburg for 3 steppers is $11.00 by DHL.!! . . . . How much do Sorotec want to ship.?

the great waldo
27-03-2018, 09:48 PM
Ok well, can only lead a horse to water can't make it drink.! . . But Just so you know they ship from Germany and quick look shipping to salzburg for 3 steppers is $11.00 by DHL.!! . . . . How much do Sorotec want to ship.?
Hi Jazz

I'm not going to get into a wet fish slapping contest here with you. Steppersonline are cheaper. I checked the shipping costs again and you were right. Unfortunately the first motors listed only had a 6.35mm shaft They only had 2 of the second motors stocked and they are nema 24 not 23 Steppers online seem to vary with their shipping rates as to exactly which motor you choose as to where it comes from. As it happens Sorotec sent me the motors and some other bits at no extra costs separately to the main machine eventhough I had informed them that I would gladly pay the added postage as I wanted to get the control box finished before the main frame arrived. Shipping costs from sorotec for the 3 motors I got is Euros 6.90 To Austria. I did check this one out which seems smilar to the nanotec
https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/de/nema-23-57mm-schrittmotor/mfp/16o-lieferung-aus,deutschland/148-bipolar-unipolar,BipolarLw%3D%3DUnipolar,Bipolar/149-,1.8/145-haltemoment-ncm,135,189,190,240,250,280,283,300/146-nennstrom-a,4.2,4.24,5.66/22-schaftdurchmesser-mm,8
But they don't have three in stock. Still it's a useful site to know for future reference. The steppersonline sets with 3 motors and power supply seem very good value too. Just out of interest are Japanese Stepper motors better than Chinese ones or is it pretty much irrelevant where they are produced ?

Cheers and thanks again for your help
Andrew

delivery from China.
As it happens Sorotec sent me the motors and some wire and bits post free. As I said before I don't mind buying from sorotec the motors and I know then they will fit the machine and hopefully work ok. I

JAZZCNC
27-03-2018, 10:10 PM
I'm not going to get into a wet fish slapping contest here with you. Steppersonline are cheaper. I checked the shipping costs again and you were right. Unfortunately the first motors listed only had a 6.35mm shaft They only had 2 of the second motors stocked and they are nema 24 not 23 Steppers

Me neither but to be honest I stress these points not just for your sake but all others who might be in similair position, because your not the only person in Austria or that area of Europe who might be reading this and thinking to buy from Sorotec.
Because let me be frank here, they are expense and your not getting anything extra for the money. When you factor in the savings on the whole Control box ie: drives, psu's etc it will be considerable difference.

Also just for the record again those motors you linked to from Sorotec are not Nema 23 because they are 60mm not 57mm. Nema 24 are 60mm.

the great waldo
27-03-2018, 10:51 PM
Me neither but to be honest I stress these points not just for your sake but all others who might be in similair position, because your not the only person in Austria or that area of Europe who might be reading this and thinking to buy from Sorotec.
Because let me be frank here, they are expense and your not getting anything extra for the money. When you factor in the savings on the whole Control box ie: drives, psu's etc it will be considerable difference.

Also just for the record again those motors you linked to from Sorotec are not Nema 23 because they are 60mm not 57mm. Nema 24 are 60mm.

Hi Jazz

You are right. I agree that Sorotec are not cheap and if I had the time I would hunt around for the best offers. I've noticed up to €30 difference on the price of the em705 drivers depending on where you get them. I'm not trying to give sorotec a plug. It just happened for me it was easier to order from under one roof and be able to get some come back and assistance if things go pear shaped. My German is not brilliant so the forum here is great to become a bit more knowledgeable about cnc and all thats involved. I got my original machine a Makko 850 with acme rails about 10 years ago when I had some spare cash that I could offset against the tax. The machine frightened the hell out of me when the motors went crashing into the sides and stalled and made horrible noises complete with French software translated into German and then English mixed with French. It was turned into a shelf for 5 years. I came across uccnc which inspired me to get back into all of this. Only to discover that although my old makko would probably do me 0.5mm accuracy is probably good enough for what I need it could do with an upgrade. I got a quote for a €1000 to upgrade the acme screws to ball screws so I thought sod it i've got a bit of spare cash get something better, and here I am. And again you are right about the motors being 24s not 23. I'll mention that to the Sorotec people.

Cheers

Andrew