PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your Epoxy resin from

CharlieRam
04-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Hi Guys,

Where do you all buy the West systems Epoxy and hardener from and is there a handy calculator for how much I need? I have looked in the manual but it mentions volume with use of fillers which I wont be using. I just want to make sure I order the right amount as this stuff ain't cheap.

Cheers,

Charlie

driftspin
04-04-2018, 11:06 PM
Hi Guys,

Where do you all buy the West systems Epoxy and hardener from and is there a handy calculator for how much I need? I have looked in the manual but it mentions volume with use of fillers which I wont be using. I just want to make sure I order the right amount as this stuff ain't cheap.

Cheers,

CharlieHi CharlieRam,

I guess west systems is proven route.

I was unable to get west systems tropical hardner so i looked for an alternative.
I found 3kg at 75 something euros
6 hrs pot life at 21 celsius.
About the same end strenght/hardness.

I found that the thicker the film was the harder it was to delaminate it from the steel.

I ended up pouring 5+mm thick 6 cm wide.

so a simple length x width x height will calculate volume.

I have a 185 cm x 100cm bed and ended up needing about 2.7 liter ~ 2.7kg.

i used 2m extra leveling channels.

so about 7.5 meters of 60mm wide 5+mm deep epoxy

I made an error during last pour and had to do it all over... so.. bought 6 kg in total.

Hope that helps.

4cm width 4mm thick is the minimum for 20mm rail as can be found on this forum.

Grtz Bert.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk

CharlieRam
05-04-2018, 06:57 AM
Hi CharlieRam,

I guess west systems is proven route.

I was unable to get west systems tropical hardner so i looked for an alternative.
I found 3kg at 75 something euros
6 hrs pot life at 21 celsius.
About the same end strenght/hardness.

I found that the thicker the film was the harder it was to delaminate it from the steel.

I ended up pouring 5+mm thick 6 cm wide.

so a simple length x width x height will calculate volume.

I have a 185 cm x 100cm bed and ended up needing about 2.7 liter ~ 2.7kg.

i used 2m extra leveling channels.

so about 7.5 meters of 60mm wide 5+mm deep epoxy

I made an error during last pour and had to do it all over... so.. bought 6 kg in total.

Hope that helps.

4cm width 4mm thick is the minimum for 20mm rail as can be found on this forum.

Grtz Bert.

Thanks Bert

So it's 1kg to a litre? That's what I was thinking. So my channels are 40mm x 1350mm plus 2 channels to connect them at 40mm x 800mm. Say I go for a depth of 6mm epoxy that comes out at 1.032 litres.

Ideally I want to go for the wests but I can only seem to find the 209 in 1.45kg which is way too much. If it's 3.5:1 mix ratio then I should only need around 1kg of resin and 250g of hardener.
The 209 seems to be very unpopular in the UK though!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Clive S
05-04-2018, 08:31 AM
The System that we seem to use over here is the Wests System 105 / 209 http://www.westsystem.com/ss/use-guides/
it is a very slow curing hardener about 10 hours but you have to be careful with the temperature.

https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/category/west-system-epoxy

CharlieRam
05-04-2018, 06:30 PM
The System that we seem to use over here is the Wests System 105 / 209 http://www.westsystem.com/ss/use-guides/
it is a very slow curing hardener about 10 hours but you have to be careful with the temperature.

https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/category/west-system-epoxyThat link you posted doesn't seem to have the 209 either! The only place I've seen it listed only has the 1.45kg tin and I don't want to buy a big one as it's just a waste. I may have to price up importing it. I just don't understand why the 209 is so hard to get when all the others seem readily available.

driftspin
05-04-2018, 06:39 PM
That link you posted doesn't seem to have the 209 either! The only place I've seen it listed only has the 1.45kg tin and I don't want to buy a big one as it's just a waste. I may have to price up importing it. I just don't understand why the 209 is so hard to get when all the others seem readily available.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TapatalkCause .. we dont live in the tropics i guess :-)

Grtz Bert

Clive S
05-04-2018, 06:48 PM
That link you posted doesn't seem to have the 209 either! its where I bought mine from but that was a few years ago.

edit try here:- https://www.boatpaint.co.uk/acatalog/Boatpaint_co_uk_Shop_West_System_Epoxy_Resin_105__ _Hardeners_213.html

driftspin
05-04-2018, 06:59 PM
That link you posted doesn't seem to have the 209 either! The only place I've seen it listed only has the 1.45kg tin and I don't want to buy a big one as it's just a waste. I may have to price up importing it. I just don't understand why the 209 is so hard to get when all the others seem readily available.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalkcheckout dansonmarine on ebay.

https://m.ebay.nl/itm/282845732420

They stock it sometimes.

Grtz Bert.

1.3 kg A Pack

CharlieRam
05-04-2018, 07:20 PM
Cheers Clive and Bert, Clive that was exactly what i was looking for :)
One more thing...... Can you check my calculations to make sure I'm right

2 rails 135cm x 4cm wide + 2 bridges @ 77.5cm x 4cm with depth of 6mm
(135+135+77.5+77.5)X4X0.6 = 1020cm3 = 1.02 Litres

1.02 Litres / 4 = 0.255 Litres 209 Hardener
@3:1 ratio by volume = 0.765 Litres of Resin.

Seems the weights are not quite 1 litre to 1 Kg as the manual states the ratio is 3.5:1 by weight.

Regards,

Charlie

driftspin
05-04-2018, 07:29 PM
Cheers Clive and Bert, Clive that was exactly what i was looking for :)
One more thing...... Can you check my calculations to make sure I'm right

2 rails 135cm x 4cm wide + 2 bridges @ 77.5cm x 4cm with depth of 6mm
(135+135+77.5+77.5)X4X0.6 = 1020cm3 = 1.02 Litres

1.02 Litres / 4 = 0.255 Litres 209 Hardener
@3:1 ratio by volume = 0.765 Litres of Resin.

Seems the weights are not quite 1 litre to 1 Kg as the manual states the ratio is 3.5:1 by weight.

Regards,

CharlieAre you doin a aluminum profile gantry

?

CharlieRam
05-04-2018, 07:45 PM

Frame is steel, Gantry is all aluminium

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7733-Well-here-goes-Aluminium-frame-router-design

I started it nearly 4 years ago! :hysterical:

driftspin
05-04-2018, 08:34 PM

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7733-Well-here-goes-Aluminium-frame-router-design

I started it nearly 4 years ago! :hysterical:The math is sound :-)

I found that my box section 1850x120x80x4 mm was + 2 mm bend in the middle by welding heat.

I had a +/- 1mm error in spirit level. over 1850 mm...

It all add up. so 6mm thickness... i am not sure.. i did not have the best of spirit levels [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
So on the ends i have 8 and 7 mm thickness now.. 5.5 or so in centre.

I had some leaks while pouring.

Mostly because of heat from the shop heater on the channel sides.
Wood dried and bended.

Can see through under the square rails through the epoxy now [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
Make sure to use packing tape on the sides ... best tip ever.

Ok hope this helps.

I have steel gantry so more pouring on there for me.

Get the A pack.. it is 50 gbp or so.

Grtz Bert.

If you like to gamble a little...

Carbonwinkel.nl is where i bought.
Google translate is your friend here.
GLS delivered from German warehouse.

w300 5 hour potlife @ 75euro for 3kg.

Has about the same spec compared to 105 209

First day you think it is never going solid [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

driftspin
05-04-2018, 08:45 PM

I started it nearly 4 years ago! :hysterical:Oh 4years.. that is a good warning to keep at it.....

Thanks for that...

Going to order some stuff for psu now [emoji16]

Grtz Bert.

CharlieRam
05-04-2018, 08:52 PM
The math is sound :-)

I found that my box section 1850x120x80x4 mm was + 2 mm bend in the middle by welding heat.

I had a +/- 1mm error in spirit level. over 1850 mm...

It all add up. so 6mm thickness... i am not sure.. i did not have the best of spirit levels [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
So on the ends i have 8 and 7 mm thickness now.. 5.5 or so in centre.

I had some leaks while pouring.

Mostly because of heat from the shop heater on the channel sides.
Wood dried and bended.

Can see through under the square rails through the epoxy now [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
Make sure to use packing tape on the sides ... best tip ever.

Ok hope this helps.

I have steel gantry so more pouring on there for me.

Get the A pack.. it is 50 gbp or so.

Grtz Bert.

If you like to gamble a little...

Carbonwinkel.nl is where i bought.
Google translate is your friend here.
GLS delivered from German warehouse.

w300 5 hour potlife @ 75euro for 3kg.

Has about the same spec compared to 105 209

First day you think it is never going solid [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met TapatalkAll the steel frame is welded apart from the steel top rail tube section which is bolted on to allow me to shim the rails prior to pouring epoxy. I'm thinking of pouring in two sessions 1 day apart so it's still able to chemically bond but 1st pour of approx 3mm to try and fill any dips and also to find any leaks! Then 2nd pour a day or two later so that any depth difference doesn't affect the shrinkage.

Clive S
05-04-2018, 09:00 PM
All the steel frame is welded apart from the steel top rail tube section which is bolted on to allow me to shim the rails prior to pouring epoxy. I'm thinking of pouring in two sessions 1 day apart so it's still able to chemically bond but 1st pour of approx 3mm to try and fill any dips and also to find any leaks! Then 2nd pour a day or two later so that any depth difference doesn't affect the shrinkage.

When you do the final pour if you see any bubbles you can flash a hot air gun across the top and they will disappear.

Also don't be in a hurry to remove the moat give is at least 8-9 days before you touch it.

driftspin
05-04-2018, 09:17 PM
All the steel frame is welded apart from the steel top rail tube section which is bolted on to allow me to shim the rails prior to pouring epoxy. I'm thinking of pouring in two sessions 1 day apart so it's still able to chemically bond but 1st pour of approx 3mm to try and fill any dips and also to find any leaks! Then 2nd pour a day or two later so that any depth difference doesn't affect the shrinkage.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TapatalkNot sure i understand..

Epoxy is to prevent the need for shimming ? No?

Are you shimming and then fitting rail in wet epoxy maybe?

I found my wet epoxy film needed about 4mm + to flow at some speed..

Not sure how to explain this well... not native in english..

Grtz Bert.

CharlieRam
05-04-2018, 09:46 PM
Not sure i understand..

Epoxy is to prevent the need for shimming ? No?

Are you shimming and then fitting rail in wet epoxy maybe?

I found my wet epoxy film needed about 4mm + to flow at some speed..

Not sure how to explain this well... not native in english..

Grtz Bert.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met TapatalkShimming just to get the rails more even before I apply the resin, probably a little overkill

driftspin
05-04-2018, 10:18 PM
Shimming just to get the rails more even before I apply the resin, probably a little overkill

Sent from my SM-G950F using TapatalkHa, yes no there is no such thing as overkill. not in cnc.

I knew about the shrink difference caused by film thickness variations.

I was unable to measure imperfections by shrinkage differences.
I have no tools for this.

I tried to check by means of feeler gauge 0.02mm and using 1400mm 8040 profile vs epoxy surface...
Did not find any obvious gaps... I was very impressed by that result.

I do feel that now my rails are mounted i could "glue" them and support them more by miniscus forming, epoxying them in place.

Grtz Bert.