PDA

View Full Version : Mach3 and returning to cut position

dfox1787
04-07-2018, 06:01 PM
Hi guys

Hoping someone can point my in the right direction with this.

Is there a setting in mach3 that stops the z plunging back to cut depth before it gets back to x and y cords?

So I paused my machine because I wanted to clear a block on the dust shoe. Moved the spindle to the corner of the bed cleared the block then roughly returned it back to where I paused the cut. It then started to move and plunge resulting in a Grove cut towards the hole it was cutting. See pic

Hope that makes sense. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180704/e6690f133ed3bf7bd824a321e23ec5c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

magicniner
04-07-2018, 10:51 PM
Works fine for me, what version are you running?

cropwell
04-07-2018, 10:53 PM
I think you have to reposition the Gcode so that the first move is to the safe height. Not being in front of my machine to check it out. If I am not far through a job and I have to stop it, I just rewind and start from the beginning, just cutting air until I catch up. I may even override the feed rate until I am near the cutting point. But that is just me taking the easy way out.

danielbriggs
04-07-2018, 11:44 PM
I've never had much luck with the "pause and resume" thing in Mach. It tends to do sporadic and sometimes unpredictable resumes. So now I no longer use it, and do the same as the guy above.

All the best,
Dan

magicniner
05-07-2018, 09:10 AM
What version are you using?

Version R3.043.062 is one of the last good, stable versions before The Incompetent New Guys started buggering about with Mach3, creating more problems than they solved in the process.

m_c
05-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Shouldn't you be using Run From Here, to resume after jogging away from the pause point?

Pause and resume will do what it says. Resume motion from wherever you've jogged to, even if that means ploughing straight through the work piece to get to the next coordinate, whereas Run From Here should do an initial move then plunge to the resume point, which you should be asked the details of to confirm the initial move is suitable.

danielbriggs
05-07-2018, 09:19 AM
What version are you using?

3.043.066 I think

I wasn’t aware much had broken in those few versions; do you know what changed?

dfox1787
05-07-2018, 09:53 AM
Shouldn't you be using Run From Here, to resume after jogging away from the pause point?

Pause and resume will do what it says. Resume motion from wherever you've jogged to, even if that means ploughing straight through the work piece to get to the next coordinate, whereas Run From Here should do an initial move then plunge to the resume point, which you should be asked the details of to confirm the initial move is suitable.

thats correct. it was because i didnt use the run from here option in mach3.

this video helped me out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6gvNP2paCo&lc=z22od35igyvdejfenacdp43aco3zkc2fzkqc200dsfxw03c 010c.1530738373353584

the amount of times i have made this mistake lol.

magicniner
05-07-2018, 01:00 PM
3.043.066 I think

I wasn’t aware much had broken in those few versions; do you know what changed?

The man who conceived, created and maintained Mach3 sold the company to a bunch of utter Muppets, unless you need support for a plugin that's only in a later version the consensus from far more experienced users than I is don't touch them with a long stick.

needleworks
05-07-2018, 01:10 PM
I've never had much luck with the "pause and resume" thing in Mach. It tends to do sporadic and sometimes unpredictable resumes. So now I no longer use it, and do the same as the guy above.

All the best,
Dan
I do exactly the same, been caught out with ruined work pieces too many times.

dfox1787
05-07-2018, 01:49 PM
I do exactly the same, been caught out with ruined work pieces too many times.

wouldn't be as bad if materials were cheap lol. Ive wasted 2 sheets of 12mm cast acrylic at 12 pound each already

iain1mm
06-07-2018, 02:03 PM
All this nonsense is why I decided to try uccnc about 18 months ago and I haven't looked back. Mach is a buggy piece of crap that has cost me a lot in time, cutters and materials. I can't believe it is still as popular as it is given that there are 2 or 3 alternatives out there now that blow it out of the water.
I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to stop or pause a program and be sure that it will start again from exactly where you left off (and all without plowing a furrow, breaking a cutter or trying to start a fire!). Mach often used to lose position if it was stopped or paused and I used to rehome, re-zero and air cut, just to be sure, after any uncoded stop.
With uccnc I can even switch the machine off and shut the pc off for the night in the middle of a long 3d job and carry straight on from the last line the next day (Choc the Z axis before switching off!).
Uccnc is also well supported, has continuous development and has an excellent forum.

dfox1787
06-07-2018, 07:47 PM
All this nonsense is why I decided to try uccnc about 18 months ago and I haven't looked back. Mach is a buggy piece of crap that has cost me a lot in time, cutters and materials. I can't believe it is still as popular as it is given that there are 2 or 3 alternatives out there now that blow it out of the water.
I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to stop or pause a program and be sure that it will start again from exactly where you left off (and all without plowing a furrow, breaking a cutter or trying to start a fire!). Mach often used to lose position if it was stopped or paused and I used to rehome, re-zero and air cut, just to be sure, after any uncoded stop.
With uccnc I can even switch the machine off and shut the pc off for the night in the middle of a long 3d job and carry straight on from the last line the next day (Choc the Z axis before switching off!).
Uccnc is also well supported, has continuous development and has an excellent forum.I have considered uccnc. Does it have good zeroing functionality. The scripts I use on mach3 2010 screen set have been fantastic.

Sounds like from your experiences uccnc saves money in the long run

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

iain1mm
07-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Gerry, who wrote the 2010 screenset, has done a screenset for uccnc and it has the all the same zeroing tools. It was his praise of uccnc that made me look at it in the first place and take the leap.
There are also many other plugins and macros that allow me to do everything I did with mach and more! (spindle control and joypad pendant plugins I use all the time) .The forum has some amazing people who are very active in writing developing macros to cover just about anything you can think of. The development team are also very proactive and are constantly adding new functionality.
You need to use one of their motion controllers but they are excellent too and a HUGE step up from the parallel port.