PDA

View Full Version : How to fit a bolt in a threaded shaft that wont move under rotation

Fivetide
29-08-2018, 12:00 AM
So I have a M6 bolt that fits in a threaded shaft. I want to fix the bolt so it doesn't rotate in either direction when I fit a motor to it. The bolt shaft is flush to the bearing so I cant put a grub screw in.

Picture attached - any good ideas lads ?

phill05
29-08-2018, 08:24 AM
Threadlock Blue, you can still take out at a later date.

Phill

Leadhead
29-08-2018, 08:30 AM
Can you make the washer thicker? If so convert it into a threaded lock ring with a couple of pin holes or some such, to tighten. Should help a bit especially with a drop of thread lock!

mekanik
29-08-2018, 09:34 AM
As leadhead, just use a longer bolt and a flanged nut to lock it plus your locktite.
Mike

Fivetide
29-08-2018, 10:54 AM
I thought of locktite, but at £30 a go and I'll use it once not very economic. I'll be borrowing a bit of the daughters nail polish I think :)

Leadhead
29-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Check out the tube for Thread lock. £4/5 would get you there.

mekanik
29-08-2018, 11:47 AM
My bad
the idea i posted won't work, what you have to do is lock the two nuts together so instead of the allen screw insert a small length of 6mm all tread tighten the first nut and put another nut onto the all thread and lock that against the first nut.Unfortunately that only stops the nut coming loose so you still need the locktite for keeping the allthread fixed in the shaft.
Regards
Mike

Fivetide
29-08-2018, 11:55 AM
My bad
the idea i posted won't work, what you have to do is lock the two nuts together so instead of the allen screw insert a small length of 6mm all tread tighten the first nut and put another nut onto the all thread and lock that against the first nut.
Regards
Mike

Think I'll try this idea with hex sleeve on the bolt against a spring washer or 2. Then test it under load. If that fails LeadHead's green loctite of fleabay for £2.99 will be next :)