PDA

View Full Version : Stuck morse taper

dfox1787
08-09-2018, 12:34 PM
Is there a tool to help remove stuck morse tapers from the tail stock?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Doddy
08-09-2018, 07:17 PM
Morse taper drift?, or if (like my ML7) you don't have a slot for the drift, I normally get a piece of bar through the rear bore of the tail stock butt up against the backside of the tool and tap it gently.

dfox1787
08-09-2018, 08:09 PM
No slot for a drif. Here is my tail stock

Maybe some sort of wedge? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180908/a86c4ad06f69d74f01ade14c98884081.jpg

m_c
08-09-2018, 08:54 PM
I'm going to assume you've fitted some kind of short MT adapter that means when you wind the tailstock all the way in, the tailstock screw is not hitting the adapter and extracting it?

In which case, suitable wedge, but you'll probably have to make/bodge something suitable. Cheap hammer/fork type ball joint extractors would also work if you find one the right size.

dfox1787
08-09-2018, 10:02 PM
I'm going to assume you've fitted some kind of short MT adapter that means when you wind the tailstock all the way in, the tailstock screw is not hitting the adapter and extracting it?

In which case, suitable wedge, but you'll probably have to make/bodge something suitable. Cheap hammer/fork type ball joint extractors would also work if you find one the right size.

No but it use to extract it. Maybe i can find a wedge that will do the job

m_c
08-09-2018, 10:42 PM
No but it use to extract it. Maybe i can find a wedge that will do the job

It's not a hollow ended MT (aka threaded for use with a drawbar), which has been plugged, and the plug has screwed in a bit?

cropwell
08-09-2018, 11:17 PM
If you are lucky - a tap on the chuck towards the headstock, with a soft face hammer may dislodge it. Otherwise if you can wind the quill out (after taking out the pin) you may be able to get a drift into the quill to dislodge the bugger.

What lathe is it btw?

Got there - Hobbymat MD65

the great waldo
09-09-2018, 08:51 AM
I've got the same lathe. I normally just wind it back with the hand feed and it pushes the chuck/taper out. If it's stuck really tight a bit of heat from a heat gun on the quill should expand it enough to release the tapered bit.

Cheers
Waldo

dfox1787
09-09-2018, 10:59 AM
I've got the same lathe. I normally just wind it back with the hand feed and it pushes the chuck/taper out. If it's stuck really tight a bit of heat from a heat gun on the quill should expand it enough to release the tapered bit.

Cheers
Waldo

Normally it does do that but recently if i wind it back it jams and doesnt push the morse taper out. I have had the tailstock apart and cant find any issues with it.

routercnc
09-09-2018, 04:13 PM
Put an old drill bit in the drill chuck or old piece of bar stock. Slide the tail stock down to the main chuck and grab the bar in the jaws. In the gap in between gently tap with a nylon hammer on the front face of the tail stock.
Once out check the end of the taper. Something is amiss as per earlier posters as the auto release is not working. Don’t reinsert until you have figured it out!

cropwell
09-09-2018, 05:22 PM
Normally the chucks are fixed to the arbor by a taper, so tapping the chuck would just dislodge the chuck, but if you are lucky and the chuck is stuck on the JT taper, you might be able to dislodge the MT2, taper in the quill.

m_c
09-09-2018, 07:01 PM
Normally it does do that but recently if i wind it back it jams and doesnt push the morse taper out. I have had the tailstock apart and cant find any issues with it.

All that normally does the extracting, is the tail stock leadscrew hits/pushes the end of the MT adapter.
Could it be the end of the screw has worn down a bit (or could be the MT adapter is a bit short) and the tailstock quill is now bottoming out before the screw hits the adapter?

If you can get the quill out, find a punch/bit bar that'll drop down the thread hole, and you should get the adapter out with a couple hammer blows.

dfox1787
09-09-2018, 10:23 PM
I've took the tail stock part and noticed I couldn't get the screw all the way through the morse taper insert. I re tapped the part and I will see how that goes.

davo453
12-09-2018, 02:00 PM
We alway used to (and i still do on a drill press) take two hammers and simultaneously knock both sides of the socket at the same time, even very stuck tapers will come out then.

On a lathe there is more limited room mind you.

I used to have a Hobbymat MD65 like yours and when you wound the tailstock in it always pushed out the taper, rather a pain actually...