PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Millpwr...

Jaff
24-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Bit of a long shot as I don't think theres many of these systems around...

We have a Bridgeport fitted with an Acurite Millpwr CNC system, [which I have to say is a great conversational CNC control for simple machining op's]. Recently however, we have been experiencing a few problems. It is giving a number of error messages, the most common of which is that the gaurd is open.. when it isn't... checked the wiring to the guards it's all ok, even tried wiring it out but still get the error message. There are other errors, such as low on lube oil, and it will start and stop the spindle on it's own occasionally with the direction switch in the off position, when the machine isn't even set up.... which scared the &^%$ out of me one evening when I was working at the bench all on my own!! Another frequent message is 'AMI output fault' when in program mode....

Any thoughts??? could it be a software issue perhaps??? Anybody else running one of these???

Grah.

BillTodd
24-09-2009, 07:42 PM
I don't know anything specifically about the Accurite system but...

First thing to check on any system like this is plugs and sockets - take them apart at inspect closely for corrosion (especially if they are exposed to coolant spray) remove the covers and check the wires inside the plugs (same goes for switches).

If any of the cables are flexed by the movement of the machine, consider replacing them (the conductor wire work hardens and breaks in different places, often causing intermittent faults).

If the wires and plugs seem OK, then check power supplies and earth connections.

Jaff
28-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the pointer Bill.

It looks very much like it might have been the AMI socket on the processor input/output board. I've replaced it with some nifty soldering and, so far, things seem to be ok. The little pin sockets on the old one were all shapes and possibly therefore not making contact as well as they should.

Jaff
28-09-2009, 03:47 PM
:cry: ..... perhaps not.... just had the problems again!!

Time to get the man in I guess...

Jaff
05-10-2009, 11:58 AM
... not had a lot of success with getting the man in... don't seem that interested!! [Business must be good!!??]

We have found that a couple of components are running hot on the AMI board in the back cabinet. We have a replacement 5v voltage reg, but the resistor next to it has got so hot it's lost it's colours... If anybody has a similar machine and can have a quick look in the back cabinet and let us know what it should be we would be very very grateful!!

Grah.

swagesport
02-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi,
were running this control too, v3.4
If you still need to find out the resistance colour code i'll have a look and post back tomorrow!

Jaff
02-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Hi

We measured the resistance and just replaced it with something similar which seems to work ok. If you get chance to check the proper colours it may be useful to know in case it occurs again tho'... thanks!

G.